[yoshimi] Re: Random Detune

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 14:23:38 +0000

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 05:58:58 -0500
Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromcj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dang, had to read my own document to find that setting. It applies
"globally" to that part if you go by its position in the GUI.
Does it also apply to kit edit?

Yes. In the code it is applied at the point the incoming MIDI value is
converted to actual pitch.

Anyway, the way it stands it should be parallel with the ADDsynth, PADsynth
etc. blocks in the XML. Other than that its opaque to me :-).

Difficult. It's placed where it is because it applies to all three engines and
kits. I would have liked it to be a knob or slider, but being experimental I
went for minimalism. Hmmm. Maybe change the label to 'Humanise'?

The tooltip probably ought to be changed to recommend low values.

I'm actually thinking of reducing the range to 5 cents (10 on the scale).

Man, Will, I've been waiting for Yoshimi to settle down for awhile
(and the same for my projects) so that I can catch up on screenshots
and documentation. Kinda like the new look.

FWIW I try very hard to minimise layout changes whilst at the same time
improving clarity and access. Unexpected changes annoy people, and changes to
that top menu bar caused even me problems at first. I'm so used to the top item
of 'Patch Sets' being 'Recent' that I'm inclined to hit the wrong one :(

I hope we're just about there now. Apart from the above there are only three
other *possible* changes in mind.

The first is in the same window, and would be a duplication of the audio
destination drop-down that's in the mixer panel. I'm again thinking of placing
it in that lower strip but between Rnd. Det. and Close. This makes sense as it
is also something that applies to the entire part.

The second would be in Settings->Jack and would be a drop-down to change the
*default* audio destination.

Finally, also in Jack, for some time I've been thinking of providing the same
Midi Device setting that's in the ALSA tab, but it's a very low priority.
Nobody has actually asked for it.

However, the Debian package seems a bit flaky, and I haven't had
time to see how it is structured.

Chris

Debian is still stuck in V 1.2.4 (unless you go for sid). Both myself and the
maintainer are a bit annoyed about that. 1.3.4 (I think) should have gone in
jessie but there was a ridiculously long freeze period for that one.

As mentioned elsewhere there's a bug we've only just clobbered in 'master' but
it is extremely obscure and only gets trigged by a few files in one sequencer.
So far, nobody has actually reported it. I found it myself while trying to make
some gui refresh improvements.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk