[yoshimi] Re: Random Detune

  • From: Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromcj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 05:58:58 -0500

Dang, had to read my own document to find that setting. It applies
"globally" to that part if you go by its position in the GUI.
Does it also apply to kit edit?

Anyway, the way it stands it should be parallel with the ADDsynth, PADsynth
etc. blocks in the XML. Other than that its opaque to me :-).

The tooltip probably ought to be changed to recommend low values.

Man, Will, I've been waiting for Yoshimi to settle down for awhile
(and the same for my projects) so that I can catch up on screenshots
and documentation. Kinda like the new look.

However, the Debian package seems a bit flaky, and I haven't had
time to see how it is structured.

Chris

-------- Will Godfrey 23:07 Wed 02 Dec --------

A setting for this has been in the part edit window for quite a long time. There
are 20 steps of approximately half a cent. This is applied as a pitch variation
to the note-on event, so is per note and also per part (but the whole part not
just one engine).

It was intended to simulate to effect of fretless instruments, or fretted ones
that are weight or bend sensitive, where tiny variations in normal playing
would result in such pitch 'inaccuracies'. It also works quite well on flute
and whistle sounds. I've used it a few times myself and values of 2-3 seem best.

I'm wondering what use (if any) others have made of it, or even if anyone has
recognised what it does!

Currently this setting isn't saved. It's still classed as an experimental
feature. Also, if we keep it and want to save it, should it be an individual
instrument parameter or applied for that part in a complete patch set?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Debian Hint #18: Quality control information about a package can be found
by going to http://packages.qa.debian.org/<package>; this page provides
links to the Maintainer's QA page, the BTS, news items for the package, and
information on which versions are available in which archives.