[yoshimi] Re: Eating your own dog food...

  • From: Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromcj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 18:19:00 -0500

Sounds like you built yourself a good test song!
:-)
On Dec 28, 2015 6:02 PM, "Will Godfrey" <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

... can give you indigestion :(

Deciding I needed a break from software, I picked up one of my older
compositions to play around with.

This uses 32 different instruments, so at the time I composed it required
two
separate instances of Yoshimi (V1.2.0 I think) although no more than 12 are
ever sounding at the same time. It's also nearly 8 minutes long!

With all the improvements we've made I thought I'd merge all the tracks (in
Rosegarden) switching programs in-line. There were more than I first
expected,
as some tracks had to switch instruments, then switch back later on. There
were
also quite a few bank changes. However, I now have a file that uses a
single
'bare' yoshimi. This is similar to the demo track I did before, but much
more
complex as well as much longer.

However, there is a problem - Xruns :(
This is running at 48k with buffer sizes at 128. Strangely my office
machine is
slightly *better* than my DAW machine. That really surprised me!

This only occurs on program changes - not bank changes, and not all of
them, and
not always the same ones. The current release is slightly better than
V1.3.5.
V1.3.2 can't handle it at all and crashes :(

A first run seems to work OK, but it when you go back and re-run the
problems
occur. This makes me wonder if it's a memory allocation issue. On first
run no
parts have anything more than the basic 'Simple Sound'. Also, if I run
other
programs between runs of this file, I seem to get more Xruns - some quite
bad.

If I switch jack's buffer to 256, things are much better, and with Yoshimi
at
256 as well the problem disappears completely, and I can even run this mail
reader at the same time.

Ho Hum. I really wanted a break from software :(

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk