[yoshimi] Re: Eating your own dog food...

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 17:56:22 +0000

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 10:09:37 +0000
"Tom" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "madtom1999" for DMARC)
wrote:

Just a thought but can you tell what causes the xruns - is there any
data there that tells you what midi data caused it. Is there a debug
version.setting for jack that will allow you to find out then you may
have a little clue as to where in yosh its going funny.
Tom - master of teaching grandma to suck eggs.

Hi Tom,

The sun was out all day today, therefore so was I :)

Yes I know with reasonable precision :(
It's MIDI derived program changes that occur while several parts are sounding.
It's mostly instruments that have a padSynth engine.
It's also most likely to occur on the parts that have switched instruments
several times.

Everything points towards memory management. PadSynth patches have to set up
then fill 8 samples of whatever sample size is set. However, I've made a tiny
improvement by making the Program Change thread lower priority. I use ALSA MIDI
and it used to be at the same level.

Jack reports 'not finished' sometimes with 'running' sometimes 'triggered'. This
is followed by a number of 'process error' messages.

I'm afraid that I'm really not clued up with debug info. Harry used to help me
out a lot here, but he seems to be too busy doing other things these days.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk