Re: OT--Win7 and disk partitions

  • From: Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:51:16 +0000

At 3/16/2010 03:40 PM, you wrote:
And if you go with WIN7, do you go 32 or 64 bit?

I went 32, even though my computer supported 64, because it was the only way to upgrade painlessly from Vista 32. Otherwise it would have been a clean install - - which would have been healthier but too time-consuming. The other problem is possible lack of 64-bit device drivers for older (like a 1.5 years) hardware.

In particular, it has proven impossible for me to find a suitable Win7 driver for the nVidia 8400 GM card in my Dell. In order to get 32-bit color on my LCD and CRT external, I have to boot without the CRT plugged in, then, when logged in, 'identify' the monitor, at which point it takes up its previous settings. If I don't do this, I get 16-bit color and no Aero. Robert doubtless disapproves of Aero so would probably say one was better off with the 16-bit environment.