Re: OT--Win7 and disk partitions

  • From: "Robert Holmgren" <holmgren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:51:06 -0400

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger <hb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:17:27 -0400

Harry, before you proceed just make sure that the current
version of TrueImage actually works for you (if, indeed,
TrueImage is the program that will transport you -- I believe
that was Kari's initial suggestion).  I had TrueImage 10, and
basically liked it although you could not extract individual
files to the specified directory -- it always put them at the
specified location in a "Drive(X)" directory, and then recreated
the directory tree there instead of where you directed the files
to go.  Acronis told me to upgrade to overcome this bug.  I
upgraded, and TI 11 (or whatever the latest version is called)
crashes my Vista box every time I try to use it.  I wake up in
the morning with a frozen computer -- I have to pull the plug
and restart.  It is incredibly buggy, IMO -- nearly unuseable.
I'm not the only person who feels this way.  But maybe it's just
me ...

If you are restoring a whole partition, then TrueImage 10 worked
pretty well.  I successfully used it to restore an entire
machine several times.  You can, indeed, put in a brand new
drive as long as it has identical disk geometry to the old one
-- which basically means, same manufacturer and model.  If you
use a different (e.g. larger) drive, it can still be done, but
it will not work out of the box.  You need to understand how
boot sectors and disk geometry works.  This is very very
technical stuff, and not for the faint of heart.  I've done this
several times also, and a disk repair utility like DiskPatch can
be a huge help (DIY Data Recovery in the Netherlands -- Google
it).

Lastly, you are aware, I'm sure, that cloning your old drive may
simply reproduce the problems you had before on your new
installation -- aye what?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxxxx