[xmlspif] Re: Hierarchic categories

  • From: "Piers Chivers" <Piers.Chivers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <xmlspif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:40:00 +0100

Hmmm.  Interesting.  This is not my impression of the use of hierarchy.
Having re-read SDN.801 I can see it isn't clear what the purpose of
hierarchy is. [Having said that, I've yet to meet anything that is clear
in SDN.801  :) ]

With your approach, how do I know if a label with classification value
of 27 dominates (or not) a label with classification value of 5?

Leaving classifications aside, I can still see a reason for hierarchy
attribute on categories.  If I have a hierarchic category named "Impact"
with values "HIGH", "NORMAL" and "LOW" how do I present these to the
user appropriately?  Do we sya that "convention" is that they are
presented in the order in which they are listed in the SPIF?

I prefer formality to convention.  NB I'm only proposing this as an
optional attribute.

Regards,
Piers