[xmlspif] Re: Hierarchic categories

  • From: "Alan Ross (SMHS)" <alan.ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xmlspif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:18:06 +0100

> Hi,
>
> We are meeting requirements where there is a need for more than one
> hierarchic list of values in a "label".

I would be interested to find out more details of these requirements and if
anyone else has come up with similar requirements.

> As a solution to this would it be possible to add an "hierarchy" attribute
> to the tagCategory element that has the same meaning as the hierarchy
> attribute of the securityClassification element?

In terms of access control and dominance, this is the wrong approach. The
security classification defines the degree of sensitivity, and as such it is
hierarchical. The security category further refines the access but is
non-hierarchical. Dominance is not just carried out based on a hierarchical
sensitivity level. Making security categories hierarchical feels proprietary
to me.

> I'd argue that securityClassification is just a special kind of category
> anyway and as such shouldn't be represented separately.

Problem solved then - have a big list of classifications ;-)

Alan