[x500standard] Re: New draft on password policy

  • From: Kurt Zeilenga <Kurt.Zeilenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:27:07 -0700

On Sep 24, 2009, at 10:59 AM, David Chadwick wrote:

In method two, the user generates the salt, so it can be whatever the user wants it to be. But this means the user must remember both the salt and the password

And because users will find this hard to do on a context-specific basis, they'll just reuse salts as they reuse passwords... and that diminishes the only purported benefit of this mechanism had, preventing DSA reuse in other contexts.

This is why we think this method has little utility and is not recommended.

Why then add it to the standard? Adding such a feature to the standard does more harm than good.

While I would find introduction of a well-designed password-based mechanism which had SCRAM-like features (disallow server reuse, channel bindings, etc.) less objectionable, I much rather simply have well-integrated SASL and TLS support and simply use SCRAM or the like.

-- Kurt
-----
www.x500standard.com: The central source for information on the X.500 Directory
Standard.