[x500standard] Re: New draft on password policy

  • From: Howard Chu <hyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:35:03 -0700

Howard Chu wrote:
Section 18.1.6:
    a) why is pwdQualityRule single-valued? Without an initial set of rules to
serve as examples, it's difficult to evaluate the usefulness of this
attribute. I would expect that multiple orthogonal rules will be defined and
that a policy would allow combinations of these rules to be chosen. IMO this
attribute should be multi-valued and at least one or two prototypical rules
need to be part of the spec. As an example, a rule that validates the
plaintext of a password against a regular expression would be useful.

In thinking about what custom modules we've implemented for this in the past, I propose a couple rules for usage. First of all, assume that pwdQualityRule is multivalued, where each value defines a single type of rule, and a given password must pass every rule to be valid.

  regexp: expression
        Succeeds if the password matches the expression
  dict: URL
        Succeeds if the password is not found in a word list residing at the
given URL
  scan: LDAPURL
        Succeeds if the specified LDAP query returns no matching entry

I suppose the use of an LDAPURL here may be inconvenient, but I don't recall seeing X.500 URLs in wide use. In practice I would prefer a Compare operation which must return CompareFalse to succeed, but the LDAPURL format is too braindead and only supports Searches. (I have an overlay for OpenLDAP which supports this feature: do a compare on a magic DN and the argument is processed with cracklib.)

"dict" may be too simplistic since it presumably wouldn't account for case variations and other simple transformations of common dictionary words. Again, in OpenLDAP we punted this to an externally loadable module because spelling out a variety of transformations here was too awkward. Since the most commonly used module just calls cracklib, perhaps "cracklib" itself should be one of the pwdQualityRule types.

--
  -- Howard Chu
-----