[x500standard] Re: New draft on password policy

  • From: Kurt Zeilenga <Kurt.Zeilenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:46:53 -0700

On Sep 23, 2009, at 12:34 PM, Santosh Chokhani wrote:

Kurt,

I am not sure if I fully understand the context, but whoever gave DUA
the encrypted password can supply the salt.

When setting a password, yes, the DUA can generate the salt. But how does a DUA authenticating a user come to know what salt to use? Is the user expected to provide the algorithm, salt, and password to the DUA so they can use encrypted credentials choice in binding to the directory?

The salt is not a secret.

Yes, but I see no mechanism for exposing the algorithm and salt to DUAs wishing to authenticate users via the method.

Its sole purpose is to make dictionary attack less effective by forcing
the attack to compute encrypted text for all the salts.

Yes, but that's assuming the attacker needs to brute force attack the encrypted text. With the encrypted credentials choice, the attacker just provides the encrypted text to the DSA. It's become a password equivalent.

Seems this choice makes it easier on the attacker but hard on the legitimate DUA.

-- Kurt