[x500standard] Re: New draft on password policy

  • From: "Kemp, David P." <DPKemp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:44:39 -0400

David's table indicates that "encrypting" (salted hashing) requires some
knowledge in the DUA for option 2, and I don't claim that standardizing
a method and implementing the standard is trivial.  But in principle the
salt would have to be based on either invariant data about the DSA (e.g.
DNS name/port) entered/configured by the user and needed to connect, or
remembered/typed by the user after being randomly generated by the DUA.
Storing it in a DUA-maintained registry/address book would inhibit user
mobility, and storing user-specific salt on the DSA would require an
extra message.  If the connection protocol includes a DSA-to-DUA message
before the DUA-initiated BIND, that message could include a DSA ID from
which salt could be derived.

Implementation details aside, protecting clear passwords from DSA
administrators is a legitimate goal, even if TLS is used.   And so is
preventing adversaries from collecting clear or unsalted-hashed
passwords for use against other systems, when TLS is not used.

Dave