[x500standard] Re: New defect report on missing organisation information

  • From: David Wilson <David.Wilson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 13:34:40 +0100

On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 12:12 +0200, denis.pinkas@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> I would like to first point out that there is currently a lack of
> standardization for the abbreviations used to represent these
> attributes.
>
> Values like O= OU= CN= DC= , as far as I remember, only appear in an
> informational annex of one standard (I don't recall which one).

I don't recall any of the X.5xx standard defining a string
representation of attribute values or DNs. LDAP, on the other hand does.
Such names are part of the definitions of the attribute type. The work
to bring LDAP schema elements into X.500 will enable the definition of
LDAP names for for these. Note that LDAP can define more than one name
for an attribute type (and other schema elements like object classes).

X.500 itself does not use these names in protocol, unlike LDAP. When
LDAP was simply a lightweight mechanism for accessing the X.500
Directory Service, the names were really a local matter between the
client and the LDAP server, which acted as a translation between LDAP
and DAP. However, the names need to be standardized for LDAP.

best regards

David

-----
www.x500standard.com: The central source for information on the X.500 Directory