[x500standard] Re: SV: Re: SV: Re: SV: Re: New defect report on missing organisation information

  • From: Sharon Boeyen <sharon.boeyen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:15:57 -0400

Actually I disagree about the 'uncontrolled' development of attributes or
extensions being against the spirit of standardization. Both the original set
of directory attributes (and object classes) as well as the initial set of
X.509 certificate extensions were created in order to provide a commonly
applicable base set from which others would then extend as they saw fit to suit
their particular needs. These were never intended to be "the set" of standard
attributes, object classes or extensions. This was a point that Hoyt, in
particular, used to hammer home on many occasions and strongly resisted any
change to the set in order to discourage people from thinking this was the
single set of standard attributes.

However, that's not a valid argument against what you're attempting to do here.
I'm not saying it wouldn't necessarily be a useful and commonly used attribute
(although I do wonder whether there aren't already groups using some other
attributes to satisfy similar needs).

All I'm saying is that this is not a defect and the proper way to progress this
work (as well as any other schema enhancements people feel might be needed)
would be through the enhancement mechanism. The defect process really should be
used only for true defects. Time is not the gating factor for whether something
should be considered a defect. If industry is waiting with baited breath for
this attribute with an OID from the ITU/ISO arc, they'll start using it as soon
as an initial draft document is published (probably) regardless of the
standards process used to progress the work.

Anyway that's just my opinion and I won't bother pushing my view further - just
needed to voice it :)

b.t.w. I never went away - just went quiet :)

De :        "Erik Andersen" <era@xxxxxxx<mailto:era@xxxxxxx>>
A :        <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date :        30/03/2012 17:51
information
Envoyé par :
x500standard-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:x500standard-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
________________________________

Hi Denis,

Thanks for making the effort to read the defect report and for the correction.
I am not used to that.

There is no clear border line between a defect report and an enhancement. Added
a single attribute type has no affect on the remaining of the specification and
is therefore quite safe. I did not invent the requirement for the new attribute
type, but recognised that we have been missing such an attribute type for a
long time to enter e.g. a VAT-number. The lack of such a capability could be
labelled as an omission, which is one of the things that can justify a defect
report.

The seventh edition of X.520 is at its final stage where it is not possible to
add such an attribute as part of the extension process, and if we tried, we
would sneak it in. Now, we do it more openly. Waiting for a possible eight
edition of X.520 would delay the solution by four years.

The proposed solution will eventually end up in a Draft Technical Corrigendum,
that will go out for vote within both ISO and ITU-T.

Erik

Fra:
x500standard-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:x500standard-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
De :        "Erik Andersen" <era@xxxxxxx<mailto:era@xxxxxxx>>
A :        "Directory list"
<x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date :        30/03/2012 14:41
Objet :        [x500standard] New defect report on missing organisation
information
Envoyé par :
x500standard-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:x500standard-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have issued a new defect report 381. See
http://www.x500standard.com/index.php?n=Ig.DefectReports

Any comments?

Erik