[x500standard] Re: SV: Re: SV: Re: SV: Re: New defect report on missing organisation information

  • From: "Steve Kille" <steve.kille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 10:35:46 +0100

David, Erik,

IANA registration is the natural IETF approach to handling extensions.

Because the X.500 and LDAP schema use OIDs, there is a framework for
non-conflicting vendor/user extensions (unlike the typical X- provision of
Internet standards).

This extensibility is vital for a huge number of directory deployments.   It
also means that there is no requirement to standardize every single option.

I think that it was a very good X.500 design choice to include some standard
schema.    The IETF have also built on this (such as  inetOrgPerson in RFC
2798).     There are some "obvious" gaps.     For example, the inability to
associate an email address with any object other than a person.

The change in question seems sensible, although I did not think of vital
importance.

I suspect that there are a number of common schema changes that many
organizations/deployments make, where it would be preferable to have a
standardized schema.

I'd like to see this as an effort that revisits both X.500 and LDAP standard
schema, and gives a refresh of the "core", rather than this single isolated
change.

Regards

Steve

-----