Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts III: Other Arguments Against BCP

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 17:50:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walter:

Well, I think that things like Beauty and Knowledge would produce
disagreements, even among those that display a sorting ability. I don't read it
as "getting every case right" so much as "picking out Cs from non-Cs".

There was an actual case of a person who had severe epilepsy, I think. The
seizure would begin in one cerebral hemisphere and migrate to the other,
increasing in intensity. Surgeons severed the corpus callosum in the person's
brain, and this alleviated the seizures. However, the guy couldn't express what
he was seeing sometimes. If they'd present him a picture in his left visual
hemisphere, so that the visual information was transmitted to the right side of
his brain, then he could react to the picture, even laugh at what was depicted,
but he couldn't say what it was. The recognition and emotional response that
was located in the right cerebral hemisphere could not be communicated to the
left parietal lobe--because the corpus callosum was severed--and it's in the
left-hand side of the brain where language is located. He couldn't sort America
Ferreras from Scarlett Johannsons, as it were.

Thanks!
--Ron