Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts III: Other Arguments Against BCP

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:14:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walter:

I've been out of town and unable to devote much time to Fodor.

Just an observation: I think you are reformulating Fodor's development and
combining parts of different arguments. That's OK, though.

I agree completely that he's attacking BCP as if it were committed to sorting
and inference as sufficient conditions for concept possession, when, in all
likelihood, they are just necessary conditons. Individually and conjoined,
then, they are still weaker than concept possession.

Would not a kind of Chinese Room Argument be relevant to this question? For
example, suppose I had a person inside the CRA who was asked to sort and make
inferences upon objects that were presented to the window. The little guy in
the CRA has to sort dieseldowns and he has to make inferences about them. But,
he just follows a set of ad hoc rules that somehow, coincidentally, just happen
to work for the particular sequence of dieseldown and non-dieseldown examples
we hold up in the window and for the dieseldown and non-dieseldown deductive
problems we hold up to the window. Now, this ad hoc, rule-driven luck is not
sufficient to say that the Room has the concept of a dieseldown, even though,
sure enough, it made a whole handsome series of sortations and a pretty decent
pattern of inferences.

Also, another thing about your reformulated argument below. In your point (2)
you define compositionality as concepts being decomposed into smaller ones.
This is different from Fodor, who only asserts that they add together or
permute in some fashion, not that they decompose. Also, the decomposition leads
to an infinite regress. I either come to some concepts that are not
compositional (and not composed of smaller ones) or I have compositional
concepts all the way down (to minus infinity). But, if we don't regress, then
all of our concepts are built up from atomic concepts, and a BCP advocate with
an Atomic Propositions and Atomic Perceptions foundationalism underneath would
not at all be unsatisfied with that result. If Fodor were to argue for the kind
of compositionality that you seem to suggest here, then his Dog as such concept
would be just a collection of atomic perceptions, better or worse known to a
subject.

So, at least with your (2) below, I think that you have an infinite regress,
and if not that, then you dissolve concepts as such into a variant acceptable
to BCP.

Thanks!
--Ron