[quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts III: Other Arguments Against BCP

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 01:05:18 -0000

--- In quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> --- In quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
>

> > responding to
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quickphilosophy/message/183
>

> > Walter:
> > How about BEAUTY? Couldn't I have that concept without being able
> > to sort beautiful things?
>
> Isn't Fodor just talking about being able to sort beautiful things  from
> things that are not beautiful?
>
> Regards,
> Neil

Right.  And I'm wondering why there couldn't be a single person (or even a good
quarter of all people?) who is unable to do that, but still knows what "beauty"
means.

And take knowledge--couldn't somebody know what knowledge is and not be able to
distinguish good from bogus examples of knowledge claims?