[Wittrs] Re: Original and derived intentionality

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:57:28 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
> > >
> > > > > That's too deflationary for me.
> > > >
> > > > Clast one icon.
> > >
> > > Why?
> >
> > So it's not too deflationary for you.
>
> But why should I want it not to be?

Just pointing out that I realize it is a leap.

>  While agreeing with you that we ought to aim to conceptually reduce more
> complex things to their basics, I agree with Bruce (hard as it is to believe
> at times!) that there are some things that don't reduce. I think that there
> are levels of discourse and conceptualization and that while we can explain
> what it means to be a university or a city or a mind in terms of lots of
> physical specifics, we cannot do this exhaustively and that doing so gains us
> little and loses a lot.

It's a fine line.  And I'm way over on one side of it,
I'm very big on reductions.  In doing that, one needs to
"save the phenomenon", reduction is not (quite) eliminativism.
Just making the point.

You don't have to agree, I'm just trying
to help make my stuff more understandable - so you can reject it
in greater detail, if that's what happens.

> > > But you used the term above.
> >
> > If I did it was a mistake, please rewrite my response,
> > or point it out and I'll rewrite it.
> >
> > Josh
> >

> fyi:
>
> You wrote here:

> "Making it hostage to deciding what it means to be "first person" other than
> a physical system, pretty much guarantees you're going around in circles."

The scare quotes there, not to mention the rest of the sentence,
are denouncing the term, not using it.

Josh