[Wittrs] Re: Dualism Cooties: Ontologically Basic Ambiguity: Identicality

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:10:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 3/20/10, jrstern <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Searle] says there are at least two kinds of substance, because
> computers are the wrong kind to "cause" consciousness.

No. Searle's arguments against strong AI have nothing whatsoever to do with the
substances out of which we make computers.

I can distill Searle's arguments against strong AI down to two sentences:

1) syntax does not give semantics, so formal programs don't cause minds.

and

2) computations exist only relative to an observer, and "computation" does not
name a physical process anyway, so it makes no sense to consider the brain a
digital computer.

-gts