[Wittrs] Re: Does Dennett throw out the baby with the bathwater?

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 01:19:31 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > Can we just call them our experiences or must we say our experiences
> consist of something else, some mental property called "qualia"?
>
> I'm happy with "just our experiences" option. Isn't Gordon? We should
> ask?

I guess you just have! The question, then, is whether an agreement that that
term is okay will also include a recognition that, in denying "qualia", Dennett
isn't denying experiences.

> > I don't think Dennett is arguing that we do away with mental talk,
> > only that we not rely on it exclusively in accounting for the
> occurrence of mental phenomena qua experiences.
>
> I agree. Not exclusively. But the tricky part is relating the mental to
> the physical.

I think he does it pretty well. At least I have no problem with it.

> > When talking about brains and minds we speak one way,
>
> Yep. That's where our difference lies. What way. Notice the research
> Posted does not talk the "causal way."
> To amend the title of the Post. D throws out the Baby when he related
> the mind to the body.
>
> bruce

The use of "causal" is Searle's though I have no problem with it once one
recognizes the way it is being employed. Dennett never speaks of "causal" as I
recall though I think his approach is certainly consistent with that usage.
(And perhaps he does actually use the term at some point. I don't have a
photographic memory nor have I read everything he's ever written so I will not
affirm a negative. Note that I say this just in case friend Joe -- or someone
of the same mindset -- now rushes out and manages to find just such a usage
somewhere in order to cite it and crow "see, you're wrong, you're wrong!" I'm
rather tired of that kind of exchange at this point.)