[Wittrs] Re: Does Dennett throw out the baby with the bathwater?

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:30:31 -0000

>  Where they cannot describe unconscious computers as conscious humans
> they try instead to describe conscious humans as unconscious
computers. I find it dehumanizing.

We appear to agree. Let's see your reaction to this. I see no reason why
we cannot make a entity (out of whatever) that we feel compelled to
treat as a living being. Perhaps we will call it a "computer." That's of
no consequence. However, when and if we do, we will not conceive of this
beings personhood in the same way we consider each other. In short, the
inorganic material doesn't cause this new being but is the occasion for
its emergence. That is to say, the way our world is, form emerge which
cannot be accounted for, reduced, to the parts and pieces from which it
emerges.

bruce