[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's Intentional Stance

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:00:13 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> Dennett doesn't even touch it since according to him intrinsic
> intentionality is not something studied by the intentional stance.

Quite right.  So there is no mystery for Dennett.  He eliminates the
need for intrinsic intentionality, and thereby disolves the mystery.

> I think you haven't bothered to read Searle's book _Intentionality_.

There is nothing in that 1983 book to remove the mystery that Searle
created in his 1980 Chinese Room argument, where he gave magical
properties to intentionality.

Regards,
Neil