[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's Intentional Stance

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 01:10:43 -0000

--- In WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@> wrote:
>

> > Funny, but Searle offers a theory of Intentionality which involves
> > intrinsic and derived intentionality.
>
> Agreed.  But it is a philosophical theory, not a scientific theory.
> And, in my opinion, it leaves intentionality as a mystery.

Dennett doesn't even touch it since according to him intrinsic intentionality
is not something studied by the intentional stance.  I think you haven't
bothered to read Searle's book _Intentionality_.  For Searle, philosophical
theories and scientific theories must cohere.  Dennett is absolved by a stance
which doesn't bother with some of the facts.  One fact (okay two) is/are that
we mean things by what we say and that we have beliefs which are intrinsically
intentional.  If someone were to say that the above fact(s) is/are just
philosophical, then I would submit that they are not that honest or well read.

> > On the contrary: It is a mystery for Dennett how to account for
> > intrinsic intentionality.
>
> Dennett does give an account which could, in principle, be  implemented
> in an AI system.  So Dennett is not making it a mystery.  Of course
> there is a question as to whether Dennett's account  actually works, and
> personally I am doubtful.

I'm fine with it vis a vis robots, though.

Cheers,
Budd

> The above is a response to message 3976
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wittrs/message/3976> .
>

> > Ps. Is it okay to leave the rest below ...
>
> Sean would have to give the official answer.  I prefer to see it
> trimmed out.  The previous message can be cited for the benefit of
> anyone who wants to see it in full.
>
> Regards,
> Neil

True, but it is more work.  For those who don't wish their email box
overloaded, then maybe just visit group through web instead of all the
undoubtable spam as it turns out..