Re: [Wittrs] Wittgenstein, thought and words

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 19:46:04 -0700

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I way Eastern because I associate Western with more of a respectful
> attitude towards the cogito, or "the I" as some say.  The Cartesian
> ego is a bastion of rationality against an outer world of bitter
> irrationality.  The Catholics and Protestants were going at it and
> intellectuals like Descartes had to take refuge in their own inner
> sanctum, a kind of escape into fantasy.  But lots that's useful comes
> from such retreats.  We got Cartesian coordinates out of the deal.
> From Wittgenstein, the Tractatus, and that was only for openers.

"I say Eastern" is what I meant... (typo).

Just thought I'd add that I'm currently reading 'Descartes's Secret
Notebook' in the Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/Descartess-Secret-Notebook-Mathematics-Understand/dp/0767920333

I'm getting new perspective on what Descartes's cogito was like --
quite a bit of stress thanks to Christianity and its internal wars.
He was born Catholic and, like Wittgenstein, was somewhat frail and
possibly picked on as a kid (he was certainly pampered, allowed to
come late to class because of his medical condition).

Also like Wittgenstein, he volunteered for the army (on behalf of the
Protestants), which in those days meant he was like a gentleman
soldier, with his own valet.  More of an "army of one".

I'd say his cogito was in pretty good shape and having a gift for
mathematics meant a not too shabby existence.

Nevertheless, he was worried about persecution.  I need to read
further to get more of the details.

Kirby