Re: [Wittrs] Wittgenstein, thought and words

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:05:27 -0700 (PDT)

.... I think there are two ideas here.

1. Voicing the thought to your yourself, in which case you are literally
speaking to yourself, but your voice box and mouth are not involved. Maybe,
perhaps, in some cases, the lips do move, making it appear that you are talking
to yourself. That happens to me all the time. My daughter and I laugh at how we
both get caught in weird moments socially, where people see us muttering or
"lipping" something to ourselves. But whether you actually move the lips or or
involve the voice box, there are times when we explicitly voice our thoughts to
ourselves (as strange as that is to say).

2. At other times, I would argue the same sort of thing goes on, except we are
not voicing it, even as a whisper to ourselves. Imagine a process running in
the mind and you could see it on a youtube video. The flash player allows you
to mute the audio. In many ways, thoughts that are not being voiced to
ourselves merely occur as though the mute button is on. The same exact process
goes on, except the audiology function isn't needed (activated). Indeed, it
might slow down the process. Or perhaps it is so simple of a thought that it
could be done in passing, only part attentive.

Of course, one really can't get at the matter very well without pausing to
think of what "thinking" is. That's really a garbage term. Consider all of the
behaviors that could be stuck inside that word. They seem endless. Surely these
tasks (behaviors) are numerous and express themselves in their own ways. Before
one could tackle the problem, we would need to know what SENSE of "think" and
"word" we had in mind. Otherwise, it would all be done with a bazooka.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University