[Wittrs] Wittgenstein, thought and words

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittgenstein's Aftermath <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Philscimind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Philscimind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:25:02 -0700 (PDT)

... what do people make of this in PI:

318. Suppose we think while we talk or write -- I mean, as we normally do --
... the thought seems NOT TO BE SEPARATE from the expression. ... Is thinking a
kind of speaking? One would like to say it is what distinguishes speech with
thought from talking without thinking. -- And so it seems to be an
accompaniment of speech. A process, which
may accompany something else, or can go on by itself [§330].

AND

The intention with which one acts does not “accompany” the action any more than
the thought “accompanies” speech. Thought and intention are neither
“articulated” nor “non-articulated;” to be compared neither with a single note
which sounds during the acting or speaking, nor with a tune.“Talking” (whether
out loud or silently) and “thinking” are not concepts of the same kind; even
though they are in closest connection[p. 217].

Do any of you find this contradictory? I think there is a quote in culture and
value which might explain this, but I don't have it with me. Doesn't he say
somewhere that his views on thought and words changed somewhat? I can't
remember: don't have the book with me.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor