[C] [Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein and Law

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:58:18 -0500

(sent from the discussion board regarding the topic: finding legal quotations
from Wittgenstein).

... well my good-friend J, I have found another! woo hoo.

"26. We say that people condemn a man to death and then we say the Law condemns
him to death. 'Although the Jury can pardon [acquit?] him, the Law can't.'
(This MAY mean the Law can't take bribes, etc.). The idea of somethign
super-strict, something stricter than any Judge can be,** super-rigidity. The
point being, you aer inclined to ask: 'Do we have a picture of something more
rigorous?' Hardly. But we are inclined to express ourselves int eh form of a
superlative.

** Something that cannot be swayed.--R"

Source: Lectures and Conversations on Aesthetics, Psychology, and Religious
Belief. Para 26, pp.15-16.