[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 123

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 29 Jan 2010 10:51:35 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

1a.
The Narrative Center of Gravity From: Joseph Polanik
1b.
Re: The Narrative Center of Gravity From: SWM
2a.
Re: Sense of "Is" From: Joseph Polanik
3a.
Re: [C] Re: Sense of "Is" From: Joseph Polanik
3b.
[C] Re: Sense of "Is" From: jrstern
4.1.
Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consc From: SWM
5.
Quoting Policy From: Sean Wilson
6a.
Re: When The New Wittgenstein Arrived From: College Dropout John O'Connor
7.
Welcome John O'Connor From: Sean Wilson
8.1.
Re: Wittgenstein and Law From: Sean Wilson

Messages

1a.

The Narrative Center of Gravity

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 am (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>you seem to be ocillating between two positions.

>>the first is that, even after Dennett's brain is removed from von
>>Neumann's Division III, there is still something left that is causally
>>effective. however, the only thing left after removing Dennett's brain
>>would be the self; but, in Dennett's view that is a ficticious entity
>>that serves as the narrative center of gravity in a story the absent
>>brain tells the physicist: I collapse wave functions.

>Your insistence on attending only to the "fictitious" idea of a self
>misconstrues Dennett's notion of "fictitious" in this context since he
>is not saying we don't have a self but that our "self" is really just
>the outcome of a lot of complex processes that are, in their
>constituent parts, entirely unself-like.

what Dennett said is "Our fundamental tactic of self-protection,
self-control, and self-definition is ... telling stories, and more
particularly concocting and controlling the story we tell others --- and
--- ourselves about who we are. ... we (unlike professional human
storytellers) do not consciously and deliberately figure out what
narratives to tell and how to tell them. Our tales are spun; but for the
most part we don't spin them; they spin us. Our human consciousness, and
our narrative selfhood, is their product, not their source."
[Consciousness Explained. 418]

in view of this it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that Dennett's
view is that the self is a fictitious entity, the narrative center of
gravity, about which is told a story that in actuality is about the
brain.

similarly, an individual might take an inkblot test and report seeing a
bat in the inkblot. the counselor might ask the patient to tell a story
about the bat. this might be helpful in treating the patient; but, the
story is not really about the bat. it reveals the psychological
condition of the patient.

the bat in the inkblot does not exist except as an object of thought, a
projected image that serves as a narrative center of gravity for the
story the patient is invited to tell about herself.

does the narrative center of gravity in Dennett's thinking have any
greater reality than the projected image seen in the inkblot?

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

1b.

Re: The Narrative Center of Gravity

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:53 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:
<snip>

> what Dennett said is "Our fundamental tactic of self-protection,
> self-control, and self-definition is ... telling stories, and more
> particularly concocting and controlling the story we tell others --- and
> --- ourselves about who we are. ... we (unlike professional human
> storytellers) do not consciously and deliberately figure out what
> narratives to tell and how to tell them. Our tales are spun; but for the
> most part we don't spin them; they spin us. Our human consciousness, and
> our narrative selfhood, is their product, not their source."
> [Consciousness Explained. 418]

Okay. So?

> in view of this it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that Dennett's
> view is that the self is a fictitious entity, the narrative center of
> gravity, about which is told a story that in actuality is about the
> brain.

Note the latter part of that excerpt:

"Our tales are spun; but for the most part we don't spin them; they spin us. Our human consciousness, and our narrative selfhood, is their product, not their source."

By focusing on the fiction part of his claim you are confusing his meanings. He uses the storytelling analogy to put the idea of self into perspective but he does not claim by "fictitious" that it is made up by us in a conscious way, the way fictions are produced in the course of our lives. Rather this "fiction" is an outcome of the activity of the brain and, as such, it's real to us even if there is no underlying entity that is the self. Moreover, recall his point that there are multiple stories and multiple selves, all of which we typically ellide together in the course of our daily living. Dennett's point is to unpack these ideas and the confusions that arise from them.

> similarly, an individual might take an inkblot test and report seeing a
> bat in the inkblot. the counselor might ask the patient to tell a story
> about the bat. this might be helpful in treating the patient; but, the
> story is not really about the bat. it reveals the psychological
> condition of the patient.

And that's true but so what? How does that challenge Dennett's point that the self is a complex of spun phenomena which are not spun by any conscious self but are the outcome of the activity of a complex system of various processes running in brains?

> the bat in the inkblot does not exist except as an object of thought, a
> projected image that serves as a narrative center of gravity for the
> story the patient is invited to tell about herself.
>
> does the narrative center of gravity in Dennett's thinking have any
> greater reality than the projected image seen in the inkblot?
>
> Joe

The consciousness, the mind, is a complex process-based system on this view and, as such, it has many deep components not accessible to the conscious part(s) of the mind. It is often useful to tease out underlying thought processes or inclinations not otherwise accessible to the conscious (aware) mind but the very fact that such things can often be teased out suggests that the mind is, indeed, complex in this way. Is the sense of self more real than the idea of a bat suggested to a subject undergoing a Rorshach test with an inkblot? Yes, in this sense: the sense of self we have is constituted by many more dimensions than the idea of the bat, seen in isolation, though the idea of the bat may be indicative to the tester, or even to the subject, of some particular dimension or dimensions of that more complex system that makes up the self in the subject.

SWM

2a.

Re: Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 am (PST)

J D wrote:

> Most of Wittgenstein's remarks on the subject allude to the Frege-Russell distinction between identity, predication, existence, and subsumption roles of the copula functions which is built into modern logical notations. The debate between Russell and Meinong is important here. (Prior to Frege and Kant, Aristotle and Kant are most important.) Peirce also wrote extensively on this but his work was less influential. Logicians also distinguish between predication as class membership and as class inclusion, the latter of which is equivalent to subsumption. J. Hintikka is probably the most important recent philosopher on the subject.
>

> Now, some fanciful examples:
>
> 1. Identity Wonder Woman is Diana Prince
> 2. Predication Wonder Woman is invulnerable
> 2a. Class membership Wonder Woman is Amazon
> 2b. Class inclusion Amazons are women
> 3. Existence. Wonder Woman is.
> 4. Subsumption Amazons are women

There is also (at least) one mixed or hard to classify case that should
be considered; for example, the cow is in the garden.

clearly, 'the cow is' is an example of the is of existence (OED
signification 1 under 'be').

clearly, 'the cow is brown' is an example of the is of predication (OED
signification 3 under 'be').

what then of 'the cow is in the garden' which is OED signification 2
under 'be'.

can it be a case of predication? well 'in the garden' is an adverbial
phrase; and, as such it modifies the verb of the sentence. thus, it
fails to meet Kant's definition of a 'real' predicate --- adding further
determination to the subject. is it a logical predicate?

alternatively, is 'the cow is in the garden' an example of the is of
existence? the phrase 'in the garden' would then function as an
adverbial to specify just *where* the claim made by the rest of the
sentence is true.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

3a.

Re: [C] Re: Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:39 am (PST)

J D wrote:
> JRS,
>
>> Yes, very nice post, JD.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Doesn't Quine say that "existence is not a predicate"?
>
> Actually, Kant said it long before Quine and it influenced Frege's and Russell's notations.

Kant said that being is not a 'real' predicate, which in Kantian jargon
means a predicate that adds determinations to the subject. 'being'
remains a logical predicate --- it is a 'real' (in the sense of genuine)
predicate but not a 'real' (in the sense of determining) predicate.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

3b.

[C] Re: Sense of "Is"

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> Kant said that being is not a 'real' predicate, which in Kantian
> jargon means a predicate that adds determinations to the subject.
> 'being' remains a logical predicate --- it is a 'real' (in the
> sense of genuine) predicate but not a 'real' (in the sense of
> determining) predicate.

As to exactly what Kant did or didn't say about "is", or the German
equivalent, I will have to trust y'all.

But your example here shows two different games in which it can be
used. One is an ontological game, the other is a linguistic game.

It explains why one might want to use "to be" predicates for,
say, unicorns - or existential predicates, at all.

Is "is" the same word, across games?

Josh

4.1.

Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consc

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:39 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

<snip>

> it's rather obvious that whatever causal efficacy the turning wheel has
> is due entirely to the physical object that is the turning wheel.
> consequently, if consciousness is to the brain as the turning is to the
> wheel; then, the causal efficacy that some might attribute to
> consciousness is more accurately attributed to the brain.

Only in part since a wheel doesn't turn by itself. It requires the force of wind or gravity or a push. The point is that we can speak of the turning just as we can speak of the wheel and both are manifestly part of the physical universe (which includes electrical current and electromagnetism and gravity, etc.). The question is whether, because consciousness is not identifiable as a physical entity in the universe we must conclued that it is therefore not part of the physical universe. The wheel analogy shows there is no need to do that.

But then the question is whether the current picture of the universe, with all its disparate phenomena is sufficient to account for consciousness or if we have to posit something extra to explain its occurrence. Chalmers suggests we do (hence his dualism). Dennett that we don't.

> but, that undermines your claim that consciousness as Dennett conceives
> it could fill the role of an abstract I in the von Neumann
> Interpretation. if you recall, von Neumann removed all things physical
> from his Division III, the actual observer.
>
> Joe

The issue is what does it mean to remove all things physical in this way (a question I have posed to you before). If the I,II,III scenario is about roles that phenomena play, then there is no reason a subject derived entirely from the physical universe cannot play the part of observing consciousness that you call (based on something else von Neumann said) the "abstract I" in this three way picture. To be a subject does NOT, by itself, imply a purely non-physical point of consciousness in the universe. It only implies that, in certain relationships, certain phenomena in the universe play the observing role.

You haven't yet addressed that possibility but, instead, simply repeat this "von Neumann" mantra. So I have to repeat my question again: Why do you think being a subject implies being non-physical in any possible way if we can give an account of a physical entity as a subject (as Dennett does)?

SWM

5.

Quoting Policy

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 pm (PST)

... below is a mail I sent to a Wittrs member regarding quoting the other person's message. He had sent a message to the list that did not edit the other person's message, but he did so through the message board, like so: http://seanwilson.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=3308&S=dae7a4926c9f1c8a38276fb2d346a273#msg_3308

================================

... It's not a problem the way you did it. You sent it from the message board and had the other person's message in a special block. That's ok. I had originally thought you sent the message by email. The email version of it doesn't (obviously) contain a "special block." Instead, you get these ">" characters. When people send messages by email, they get piped to the message board. Unfortunately, the ">" characters then make the thread look ridiculous (hard to read). And so I try to remind our email posters to trim the other person's message to reduce the amount of ">" in the discussion board threads. It's a nuisance for people who read from the board.

Anyway, bottom line: there is no quoting limitation on messages sent FROM THE BOARD to the list, where the old message is blocked off on the board (the way you did). There is a quoting limitation for messages sent FROM EMAIL to the list (and consequently the board). This limitation simply says: trim what you do not need.

================================

Let me now add one more thing. If the message you are quoting from on the board has the "telephone-conversation format" that I so dearly hate -- having all sorts of ">" in the message -- there WOULD be a need to trim the same as for email, for obvious reasons.

Regards and thanks

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

6a.

Re: When The New Wittgenstein Arrived

Posted by: "College Dropout John O'Connor" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:19 pm (PST)

Hey SW and others,

It has irked my tethers to see a forum for 'tractarian thought' and 'latter Wittgenstein' on this site, precisely because I think this is a poor understanding of philosophy. If it is true that Wittgenstein produced no theories, then how does one guage a shift?

Well, let me address what many do utilize to guage- and that would be Wittgenstein's change of subject matter. For, to me, I see no early-and-latter Wittgenstein [nor transitions] but something entirely new being pressed on ever since Wittgenstein finished the Tractatus.

For, the TLP had an ethical point- enumerated precisely with the 'Philosophical I' which has been elaborated on in lectures. I think he says something to the effect that thoughts are not in the head, but the spirit [the zeitgeist?].

The PI gives us many views of the same thing. I wanna say the language game of slabs and the acts of building might be an ancient culture he is refencing, or ancient humanity in general. Anyhow, he shows us games and tells us to complete the series.

But take the supposedly transitional work, according to Sean, Philosophical Remarks. One of the first remarks references 'our language', in which Wittgenstein puts forth an emphasis on 'our'. It is italicized. Why is that? -- its a reference to the Tractatus.

The language to shew the fly out of the flybottle cannot be the same as that whence the fly is out. But that the fly is no longer in the fly bottle is not reason for saying the man who shewed has changed his mind about things. For once the fly is out, where is it to go?

Regards,
John

Sean Wilson wrote on Fri, 04 December 2009 17:37

--
He lived a wonderful life.

7.

Welcome John O'Connor

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:25 pm (PST)

Hi John.

It is customary for new members to introduce themselves. Why not tell us a little about yourself? From where do you hail? What do you do? What led you to Wittgenstein (and how did you find this site)? I'll post the answers to the new-member section of the discussion board.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

8.1.

Re: Wittgenstein and Law

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:59 pm (PST)

(sent from the discussion board regarding the topic: finding legal quotations from Wittgenstein).

... well my good-friend J, I have found another! woo hoo.

"26. We say that people condemn a man to death and then we say the Law condemns him to death. 'Although the Jury can pardon [acquit?] him, the Law can't.' (This MAY mean the Law can't take bribes, etc.). The idea of somethign super-strict, something stricter than any Judge can be,** super-rigidity. The point being, you aer inclined to ask: 'Do we have a picture of something more rigorous?' Hardly. But we are inclined to express ourselves int eh form of a superlative.

** Something that cannot be swayed.--R"

Source: Lectures and Conversations on Aesthetics, Psychology, and Religious Belief. Para 26, pp.15-16.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News