[C] [Wittrs] Re: Jumping Genes

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:04:22 -0000

More on viruses and human genetics

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527451.200-i-virus-why-youre-only-half-human.html

I find these topics interesting, translating from genes to memes.

If genetics are subject to outside interruptions, so are memetics,
our models (those of us who like models) are never so pures as we
might sometimes pretend.  And yet, they may still be useful.  It all
bears on just what it might mean to have rule-based systems,
shortcomings, faults, and all.  Wittgenstein being on both sides of
the issue, generally (in later days) being against rules or explaining
them as only normative, while the mid-Wittgenstein argued that Godel
and Turing's finding (nonconstructive) cases where a logical system
failed, was not enough to void the rest of the logic of the system.

Just a little interdepartmental thinking out loud.

Josh