[C] [Wittrs] Re: When The New Wittgenstein Arrived

  • From: "College Dropout John O'Connor" <sixminuteabs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:05:16 -0500

Hey SW and others,

It has irked my tethers to see a forum for 'tractarian thought' and 'latter
Wittgenstein' on this site, precisely because I think this is a poor
understanding of philosophy.  If it is true that Wittgenstein produced no
theories, then how does one guage a shift?

Well, let me address what many do utilize to guage- and that would be
Wittgenstein's change of subject matter.  For, to me, I see no early-and-latter
Wittgenstein [nor transitions] but something entirely new being pressed on ever
since Wittgenstein finished the Tractatus.

For, the TLP had an ethical point- enumerated precisely with the 'Philosophical
I' which has been elaborated on in lectures.  I think he says something to the
effect that thoughts are not in the head, but the spirit [the zeitgeist?].

The PI gives us many views of the same thing.  I wanna say the language game of
slabs and the acts of building might be an ancient culture he is refencing, or
ancient humanity in general.  Anyhow, he shows us games and tells us to
complete the series.

But take the supposedly transitional work, according to Sean, Philosophical
Remarks.  One of the first remarks references 'our language', in which
Wittgenstein puts forth an emphasis on 'our'.  It is italicized.  Why is that?
-- its a reference to the Tractatus.

The language to shew the fly out of the flybottle cannot be the same as that
whence the fly is out.  But that the fly is no longer in the fly bottle is not
reason for saying the man who shewed has changed his mind about things.  For
once the fly is out, where is it to go?

Regards,
John

Sean Wilson wrote on Fri, 04 December 2009 17:37

--
He lived a wonderful life.