[C] [Wittrs] Re: Re: Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:16:57 -0800

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM, J <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kirby,
>
> Thanks for the very interesting information regarding Kaufmann's translations
> and explanations of same.
>
> One quibble:
>
>  (Nietzsche was
> > Austrian, like LW, wasn't proto-Nazi in any way -- would be Kaufmann's
> > brief on the guy).
>
> Surely not.  Surely, Kaufmann would know that Nietzsche was born and died in
> Saxony, Prussia, that he studied at Bonn, that he taught in Switzerland, that
> after that he summered in Switzerland, but spent his winters in Italy and
> France on different occasions, but on no account was Austrian.  He would know
> that Nietzsche had been a citizen of Prussia, a part of the German
> Confederation, but had that annulled to teach at Basel and was thenceforth
> officially stateless.  He'd also know that Nietzsche insisted on his descent
> from Polish noblemen.

Yes, thank you.  Kaufmann would have known all this yes.

I notice in the Wikipedia bio of Nietzsche the following interesting sentence:

"Before moving to Basel, Nietzsche renounced his Prussian citizenship:
for the rest of his life he remained officially stateless.[9]"

Here's a Nietzsche quote from my blog, which I have just updated (and
changed the time stamp) to address the error of my ways (I'd called
him Austrian there too).

From Twilight of the Idols:

"""
One pays heavily for coming to power: power makes stupid. The Germans
-- once they were called the people of thinkers: do they think at all
today? The Germans are now bored with the spirit, the Germans now
mistrust the spirit; politics swallows up all serious concern for
really spiritual matters. Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles -- I
fear that was the end of German philosophy. [1]
"""

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2008/02/philosophy-101.html

> Moreover, he'd know that Hitler himself was Austrian, so being Austrian would
> not preclude being a Nazi, proto- or otherwise.

Wittgenstein gets to be Austrian right?

Yes, good point.  There's that book putting Hitler and Wittgenstein
together and suggesting a rivalry.  I'm not sure to what extent anyone
believes this story.

Wikipedia again:

"""
Until 1903, Ludwig was educated by private tutors at home; after that,
he began three years of schooling at the Realschule in Linz, a school
emphasizing technical topics. For one school year, Adolf Hitler, who
was born a mere six days before Wittgenstein, was a student there, but
two grades below Wittgenstein, when both boys were 14 or 15 years
old.[15] It is unknown whether Hitler and Wittgenstein even knew of
each other, and, if so, whether either had any memory of the other.
"""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jew_of_Linz  (upon re-reading this
entry, I see scholars are pretty much universally highly skeptical,
consider this historical fiction (ala Neal Stephenson's novels I might
suggest)).

> That Nietzsche ended his friendship (and his hero-worship) of Wagner on
> learning of the latter's anti-Semitism, considering such bigotry to be
> contrary to his overman ideal would be far more relevant as a brief way of
> dispensing with the "proto-Nazi" charge.  (Similarly, his break with friend
> and editor, Ernst Schmeitzner, for similar reasons.)
>
> (And the history of his sister's selection and redaction of her brother's
> work on the basis of her own Nazi sympathies would serve in part to address
> why people might have taken him as such.)

Yes, this matches Kaufmann's account pretty well, to the best of my
recollection.

I accept responsibility for the errors above and thank you for correcting me.

Kirby

--
>>> from mars import math
http://www.wikieducator.org/Digital_Math