[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 97

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 6 Jan 2010 10:49:29 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (17 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "iro3isdx" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 6:46 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> I'm confused. Are you offering that anything you say is to be interpreted as part of a fairy tale?

"Knowledge = justified true belief" is a good example.

Regards,
Neil

1.2.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 8:46 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

<snip>

> my claim is just the opposite of what you say it is.
>
> I claim that von Neumann did not use my taxonomy of reality types in his
> analysis of the measurement problem. he did not convert the formula
> expressed in his notation, (I + II) | III, into a formula that, when
> expressed in the notation I use for reality types, includes reality type

We know you say he didn't and I don't claim that you did! My point is that you are saying it is appropriate to use your approach, building on his, presumably because yours adds something (leads to a certain conclusion? makes something clearer?).

> 2. I don't make that conversion either. Indeed, I specifically told you
> "reality type 2 does not appear in von Neumann's formula". [my post of
> 2009-12-31 - 01:47 PM, msg #3686 in the Yahoo group arkive]
>
> have I dispelled your confusion on this point? let's check.

I am well aware you are saying that your 1,2,3 is different from his I,II,III. But the fact remains that you derive yours from his (that's why you referenced his first as a source and justification for yours). You then pin your claim on your version. But this is still just smoke, diverting us from the main point which is:

What is there about the von Neumann claim concerning the I,II,III categorization, relative to the matter of observers collapsing the wave function (by observing phenomena on a quantum level), that you think undermines a Dennettian like description of consciousness?

THAT is the only issue here, not how different your 1,2,3 is from his I,II,III.

> Stuart, do you understand that the von Neumann Interpretation of QM is
> dualistic?

>if so, do you understand the von Neumann Interpretation to be
> dualistic in the Cartesian sense (interactive substance dualism) or in
> the Chalmersian sense (substance monism with property dualism) or in
> some other sense.
>
> Joe

Actually I think the idea of an "abstract I" being at the core of what anyone means by consciousness (which seems to be the way you conceive consciousness) is consistent with either idealism or dualism in any number of ways.

As I have long said, the only real dualism on my view is the deep kind which can be expressed in a Cartesian or Chalmersian sense. If we are presuming that whatever is consciousness (either at its core or in total) is an ontological basic, or is derived from some ontological basic that differs from whatever underlies everything else, then we have dualism. If we don't don't, we don't.

So if von Neumann's view is taken to imply that whatever consciousness is is other than whatever is part of the mix of everything else, then one can take it to be dualism but I make no claims as to von Neumann's actual views since I am proceeding here on secondhand reports from you and others. Moreover, as I have said, concerning the breakdown found in von Neumann's I,II,III proposal, I see NO reason to assume that a dualistic interpretation of the observer is the only possible outcome. One can quite easily read it as a statement about phenomena in the world right down to the quantum level without assuming a dualist interpretation. That is, there is nothing inherent in it that requires an assumption that whatever is in class III cannot be derived from whatever is in either of the other classes because the I,II,III description seems to me to address the relation between things in the three classes, not their ontology.

Now, back to the issue that is at the heart of this. YOU said that the von Neumann thesis, if true, requires that we presume the Dennettian thesis to be false.

I said that this will be seen to be so if the von Neumann thesis (as you have presented it, or whatever you now want to call it) implies the existence of some feature of consciousness that is essential for consciousness to be what we mean by "consciousness" but which cannot be accounted for by Dennett's thesis.

You replied that that feature is the "abstract I" which is the name von Neumann apparently gave to the observer qua observer in his three category description.

I replied that that is not a feature but a presumption, i.e., that, insofar as it is a "posit" (as YOU put it), it is not something that is indisputably there (one feature among all the features of consciousness) but is only presumed to be there in order to explain the phenomenon of being conscious.

Thus your "abstract I" is part of a different way of conceiving (and thus describing) consciousness than Dennett is offering. Note that Dennett's point is that the observer phenomenon is a function of physical factors, a construct of their interplay.

But you can't argue that Dennett's way is wrong because his concept of consciousness doesn't match your way of conceiving consciousness! THAT is circular since it aims to prove your way is right, rather than his, by assuming your way is right.

So thus far you have offered no feature, implied by your interpretation of von Neumann's thesis, that is unaccounted for by Dennett's model.

Now this doesn't mean there is no such feature to be found. Indeed, others have argued for qualia as fitting this bill (i.e., the qualities of our experiences) though I think the concept of "qualia" is itself inherently problematic. But certainly this notion of the "abstract I" you have to offer does not fill the bill of being such a feature.

So my conclusion thus far is that you have not shown that von Neumann's thesis obviates a mechanistic model of consciousness a la Dennett.

SWM

1.3.

Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:27 pm (PST)

Cayuse wrote:

> Coupled with Zurek's notions of envariance, einselection,
> and quantum Darwinism, decoherence looks like a serious
> contender to me.

a serious contender ... for what?

how does decoherence explain how, whenever a physicist performs a
measurement, a decoherence of the type expected by the measurement just
happens to occur by a completely random process?

> I was wondering what role there would
> be left for consciousness in QT given this approach.

explaining the measurement problem.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

1.4.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "Cayuse" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:42 am (PST)

Joseph Polanik wrote:
> Cayuse wrote:
>> I was wondering what role there would
>> be left for consciousness in QT given this approach.
>
> explaining the measurement problem.

There is no longer a measurement problem --
every interaction is effectively a measurement.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0707/0707.2832v1.pdf

2a.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:24 am (PST)

Sean,

Two questions arise for me:

1. If translating from German into English the writings of someone who spoke German primarily, to what extent should their English speaking be a guide in your translation.

Obviously, there are good reasons for the person to have written in German. One reason very well could be a greater confidence and fluency in their native tongue. Shouldn't the translation reflect the fluency of the German text?

On this view, one would wish to preserve the eccentricities where the German is eccentric but not to impose eccentricities (reflecting their English speaking) where the German text is not eccentric.

Somewhat apropos of this and amusing in its own right is an exchange between Anscombe and Hanfling (whose first language was German but who spoke English so fluently that most people assumed him to be a native speaker). Apparently, Hanfling found it peculiar that Wittgenstein continued to write in German throughout his life. Anscombe replied (unaware of the irony) that only someone who was unable to read the original German could ask such a thing!

2. To what extent would "queer" even be eccentric at the time? I suspect it would be somewhat odd, but not nearly as odd as today. And this cuts two ways:

a. To the extent that it was odd even at the time, there is a case to be made for preserving it in order to reflect Wittgenstein's style. But again, are we interested in reflecting his German style or reflecting his English style even though we're working with his German? We're talking about preserving a precedent of translation not about preserving Wittgenstein's words.

b. To the extent that it was much less odd at the time, and to the extent that the German words have not undergone the same transition in usage, there is a case for changing it. We want to reflect how Wittgenstein would have wished to be understood by someone who read German. How he might have been understood by people who understood English when he spoke English is a secondary concern, at most suggestive.

Finally, I want to emphasize this: Anscombe used one word to translate two different words. Whether for variety or in order to draw some distinction, Wittgenstein used two different words in German.

And I would say (though I am no authority) that translating merkwurdig as "queer" reads as an understatement. Merwurdig is most literally rendered as "memorable" but with a suggestion that the reason it is memorable is its peculiarity. "Remarkable" is on the whole a better translation. "Extraordinary" is good too, though the context would be one's guide.

Translating seltsam as "queer" seems perfectly appropriate however.

JPDeMouy

2b.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "walto" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 1:49 pm (PST)

Hi.

I just wanted to say that I've very much enjoyed reading a number of your recent posts on Wittrs. Both interesting and acute. Many thanks!

Sincerely,

Walter Horn

2c.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Tue Jan 5, 2010 3:06 pm (PST)

... thanks Walto! (You and I are buds).

SW

I just wanted to say that I've very much enjoyed reading a number of your recent posts on Wittrs.  Both interesting and acute.  Many thanks!

Sincerely,

Walter Horn

2d.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "walto" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 5:02 pm (PST)

Hi, Sean.

Hope you're well. I don't know how anything I've written ended up here. Certainly it was none of my doing. As you know I'm not a member of Wittrs and have not sought membership, though I often read it with enjoyment and am glad it's around. I was simply trying to write a note to JPDeMouy, who (IMHO) has written a bunch of really interesting posts here lately (not that yours or anybody else's haven't also been interesting: I certainly don't mean to suggest that--but it was Mr. DeMouy's on which I intended to (privately) comment.

Wishing you and yours a happy new year, your bud,

Walto

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> ... thanks Walto! (You and I are buds).

2e.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Tue Jan 5, 2010 5:14 pm (PST)

(walto)

... I knew that, Walter. I was just having some "fun." J's a splendid fellow around here.

As to why the posts were not "private," I imagine it has to do with Yahoo and the way our group is configured. If you are using that forum, make sure you pay attention to the email address that appears whenever you press reply. Even if you try to direct the reply privately to J, you will note that the email address is wittrsamr@freelists.org   There are numerous reasons specific to Yahoo's lack of functionality and communistic approach that requires this. As a general rule, any reply from Yahoo goes public, even if it is addressed to me (though I don't know why on that last one, because the email address seems "correct").

Bottom line: send private messages through your own mail client, and copy the addy yourself. Or, join the message board. It can send private messages. Once again, pay close attention to the addy that pops up whenever you reply in Yahoo.

One last thing. Please know that Wittrs does not really require "membership" to post. You can join in just by shooting off mail (as you can see). We don't recognize the prejudice of treating one who reads as "not being a member.' If you read it, you are a "member" in our eyes.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

2f.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 5:57 pm (PST)

WH,

Thanks so much for your kind words. They are much appreciated. Sean's as well. (Bloody Yahoo! You don't want me to get started on my problems with their service!)

JPDeMouy

2g.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Tue Jan 5, 2010 8:25 pm (PST)

(J)

... I think that was an excellent defense. I cannot dispute the the cogency of its appeal. But let me at least offer another perspective. It isn't necessarily one I believe, more than it is one I "feel" (as a passion). It goes like this:

1. Wittgenstein knew English well enough. And the test of when one comes to know a word, generally speaking, is when one can deploy it. And Wittgenstein had a pattern of using the _expression_ "queer" in English, which presumably conformed to a usage he picked up in the language culture. None of this is to deny that he could be using a strange sense of the word. But I think the general gist of "queer" is "weird." (peculiar?).

2. I do not deny that the translation should be focused on Wittgenstein's German text rather than his English. But what I might deny is that his German is free from the similar peculiarities that you see in his English. There are historical sources for this. Monk and others note that his German expressions could mean something ordinary and peculiar all at the same time. There are scores of accounts of him being frustrated with translations of his work. (From Waisman, to Rhees, to anyone). Wittgenstein had a serious historical problem with people understanding his philosophy, even in his own language. I want to suggest this is because of the way he philosophized and the intensity of his ideas (as well as his personality). His thoughts, in a way, sort of "breached" language. Monk writes, "Wittgenstein's language has the singularly rare quality of being both colloquial and painstakingly precise." (414).

3. Note that weird/peculiar is similar to, and in some cases synonymous with, "odd, strange or curious" (the translations for seltsam), and only cousin to "remarkable" or "extraordinary" (some of the translations for merkwurdig). The question seems to boils down in the first instance (seltsam) to a code of style -- aristocrats don't say "queer" -- and in the second (merkwurdig) for a more specific sense, for clarity's sake. Or, the question boils down to this: Wittgenstein's English didn't know the Queen's word for weird, and he couldn't mind p's and q's when it came to some basic English expressions.

I must tell you I have trouble with the latter idea. I think Wittgenstein knowingly deployed "queer" because of its mystical aesthetic. Think of the intensity of the riddle that is suggested by such an _expression_. Think of the intensity of the mind. Odd or curious are words that say something more cold about the nonconformity. "Queer" in this sense has the connotation of "bizarre." So I fear that an aesthetic quality may be washed away.

The real questions, it seems, are twofold: (a) what is the German equivalent, if any, for "bizarre" or "weird" where the same is informal and suggestive of something mysterious (intensely felt as such); and (b) did Wittgenstein use such a word in his German? Let us call such a word X. If X exists and Wittgenstein used it on occasion, I'm inclined to say merkwurdig is interpreted correctly, and that seltsam MAY be (hard to say). But if W never or barely used X -- or if X doesn't exist -- I may be more inclined to say that an exceedingly difficult philosopher has a peculiar way of speaking at times that may affect seltsam and possibly merkwurdig (harder case here). [Note: I don't speak a word of German]. I wonder if there is a change from his original notebooks or typescripts to the final one? Be interesting if X were crossed out for one of the others. That would be a smoking gun.

4. Consider Plato and "the forms." If you were translating that -- from Greek, right? -- would you use "essences" as the meaning? And if you would not, is this similar or different to what is happening here? (It may be different. I'm not sure)

5. Don't you find the below statement a bit arrogant?

"In the changes we have introduced to the first 107 remarks of the Investigations, we have paid careful attention to Wittgenstein's responses to Rush Rhees's translation of 1938-9 (TS 226). Wittgenstein went over Rhees often imperfect draft carefully, together with Yorick Smythies, and he made numerous changes and corrections on the typescript by hand. To be sure, he was not a native English speaker, and not all of his corrections are improvements. But where he changed a translation that was subsequently used also by Anascombe, his proposal always merits close attention. ...[And where] he did NOT change some of Rhees's translation where it differs importantly in meaning from Anascombe's is always noteworthy."  (PI, 4th, xiii)

Compare with Monk. Monk says (414) that Wittgenstein shelved publishing the parts of PI that he had completed in 38 for two reasons: he came to doubt the second half of the book dealing with philosophy of mathematics (needed further work), and he did not like Rhees translation. He writes regarding Rhees translation, "Wittgenstein, who was never easily pleased with any attempt by others to represent his thoughts, was horrified at what he saw." (414).

Anyway, I am not really arguing for or against anything. This is all at the level of "wonder." I don't even have a specific translated _expression_ that I am disagreeing about. I am just talking out loud. My only "point" is to express a bad feeling I have that some of the judgments may be in the nature of style and copy editing. I don't know for sure.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

2h.

Re: [C] Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "CJ" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 8:48 pm (PST)

Sean, J,

when too much philosophizing can be just plain too much

I think the world of you two guys...but talk about making a "mountain out of a molehill". It's clear that the main issue on the part of the trendy new translation is nothing more than a patronizing disregard for their readers, with the translator's assuming that Wittgenstein must be predigested and spoon fed to the MTV generation of dysfunctional readers who don't know or don't care what "queer" actually meant before it's cooping by gender politics.

Indeed, even if it mattered in the least bit how we can pares the meaning of the word "queer", which in fact had no role in the decision to abandon Anscombe's translation, the word "queer" connotes not only "odd or strange" but actually conveys, as you can see from the Merriam-Webster below a sense of "counterfeit" and also as anyone over the age of 16 can probably dig down and attest, also conveys a "subjective feeling of sorts" as well, a feeling of lack of genuineness.....moreso than just a commentary on the 'oddness" of an object or external.

Lastly, you'll see that even Merriam-Webster points us to the angst of the frantically politically correct among us in their definition which is all that's really behind this needless meddling with Wittgenstein's words..

Honestly, guys ...too much philosophy can be just plain too much. When there is nothing but a desperate need to be trendy and politically correct and to patronize the reader by assuming the reader doesn't know that actual meaning of a word, let's just call things as we see them . Queer.

queer
4 entries found.
1queer (adjective)
2queer (transitive verb)
3queer (noun)
queer theory (noun)
Ads by Google
Definition
Looking for Definition? Find exactly what you want today.
Yahoo.com

Main Entry: 1queer
Pronunciation: \Ë?kwir\
Function: adjective
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1508
1 a : worthless, counterfeit <queer money> b : questionable, suspicious
2 a : differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal b (1) : eccentric,unconventional (2) : mildly insane : touched c : absorbed or interested to an extreme or unreasonable degree : obsessed d (1) often disparaging : homosexual(2) sometimes offensive : gay 4b
3 : not quite well
- queer·ish \-ish\ adjective
- queer·ly adverb
- queer·ness noun
usage Over the past two decades, an important change has occurred in the use ofqueer in sense 2d. The older, strongly pejorative use has certainly not vanished, but a use by some gay people and some academics as a neutral or even positive term has established itself. This development is most noticeable in the adjective but is reflected in the corresponding noun as well. The newer use is sometimes taken to be offensive, especially by older gay men who fostered the acceptance ofgay in these uses and still have a strong preference for it.
On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:25 PM, Sean Wilson wrote:

> [...]
>
> Compare with Monk. Monk says (414) that Wittgenstein shelved publishing the parts of PI that he had completed in 38 for two reasons: he came to doubt the second half of the book dealing with philosophy of mathematics (needed further work), and he did not like Rhees translation. He writes regarding Rhees translation, "Wittgenstein, who was never easily pleased with any attempt by others to represent his thoughts, was horrified at what he saw." (414).
>
> Anyway, I am not really arguing for or against anything. This is all at the level of "wonder." I don't even have a specific translated _expression_ that I am disagreeing about. I am just talking out loud. My only "point" is to express a bad feeling I have that some of the judgments may be in the nature of style and copy editing. I don't know for sure.

2i.

[C] Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 11:45 pm (PST)

CJ,

"when too much philosophizing can be just plain too much"

A quibble: if we were disputing how to translate Goethe, we would not be so inclined to think of the dispute as "philosophizing". Exegesis and philosophy are different activities. (I've emphasized this point elsewhere in relation to the appropriateness of contentious theses in defending an interpretation as opposed to examining a philosophical puzzle.)

"I think the world of you two guys..."

Thanks! You too.

"but talk about making a 'mountain out of a molehill'."

I think Sean acknowledges as much. So do I.

"It's clear that the main issue on the part of the trendy new translation is nothing more than..."

I am really distrustful of such reductionistic "explanations". I don't want to be too hasty in ascribing motives here. But your suspicions do have some plausibility to me.

"a patronizing disregard for their readers, with the translator's assuming that Wittgenstein must be predigested and spoon fed to the MTV generation of dysfunctional readers..."

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Of course (putting on my cantankerous old man voice), back in my day, MTV actually played music videos.

"...who don't know or don't care what 'queer' actually meant before it's cooping by gender politics."

Note: the originators of "queer theory", campus speech codes, and the like, were "Baby Boomers", aka filthy hippies, taking inspiration from Marxists like Herbert Marcuse (who also gave hippies the slogan "Make Love, Not War". It took them awhile to understand the other parts of his work.)

Of course, if you point out that connection, you'll be accused of McCarthyism. And, more oddly anti-Semitism. Not that they oppose Jew-baiting themselves when it comes to criticizing US foreign policy.

(The game is called "Guilt by Association". Thanks for playing.)

The best thing to do, if your politics don't fit into a neat category, i.e. if you have a brain, is to keep your head low and your mouth shut. Else, you may find yourself a martyr and cause celebre of the right wing think tanks. Like those asshats give a damn about academic freedom outside of scoring points in the "culture wars": they'd turn every biology department in the country over to the Young Earth Creationists if they thought it was a winning political strategy!

Er, where was I? Oh, you can't blame MTV or even the "MTV generation" for this mess.

2j.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 11:50 pm (PST)

SW,

I'll just comment in a couple of points, since I don't have a particularly strong position on this either way so much as an interest in considering the issue from different sides. A lot of your points are also well taken.

But
> what I might deny is that his German is free from the
> similar peculiarities that you see in his English.

You "might deny" it? I would insist on denying it!

But one thing I'd hoped to convey before and I'll now emphasize, is this:

Where the German text would strike a German-speaking reader as eccentric, the translation into English should strike the English-speaking reader as eccentric. But where the German text would not strike a German-speaking reader as eccentric, the English translation shouldn't strike the English-speaking reader as eccentric either.

Whether his way of expressing a similar insight in English would have been eccentric, if the phrasing doesn't sound eccentric in German, then the translation that doesn't follow his own English usage is warranted.

On a related point, where the German text would not strike the German-speaking reader as archaic, the English translation should not strike the English-speaking reader as archaic either.

If the usage of the English word has undergone a dramatic change but the German word it translates has seen no such controversy, then the updated translation might wish not to give such an impression. And this need not be for reasons of "political correctness".

These are goals of translation that cannot always be realized. Some things just sound odd in translation. Some idioms don't readily come across. But these are still reasonable aims.

Or, the question boils
> down to this: Wittgenstein's English didn't know
> the Queen's word for weird, and he couldn't mind p's and
> q's when it came to some basic English expressions.

My suspicion, more in line with CJ's, is that this is less about the Queen's English and more about the contemporary political controversy surrounding "queer".

Why do I say this? You'll find "queer", among other places, in Russell, e.g. _The_Analysis_of_Matter_, in Moore, e.g. "Is Existence a Predicate?", in Ryle, e.g. _The_Concept_of_Mind_ , and most famously, Mackie (though he's from Oz, he still counts as a native speaker of English) in his _Inventing_Right_and_Wrong_.

Russell's example alone should suffice to make the point that this is not some point about aristocratic style.

> I must tell you I have trouble with the latter idea. I
> think Wittgenstein knowingly deployed "queer" because of
> its mystical aesthetic.

In light of the previous examples, I think that's a reach.

JPDeMouy

3.

Re: [C] Re: On When the New Wittgenstein Arrived (Again)

Posted by: "Rajasekhar Goteti" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 7:12 pm (PST)

ref

4. Please remember, the point at which the caterpillar turns to a
butterfly is not mine. I am repeating what I read in Monk.
I'm obviously not saying -- and neither was Monk -- that there was not
continued development (which there surely was). What I am saying is
that the critical period when he broke from the Tractarian ideas
(that he did break from) happened in late 1930. There is all sorts of
historical conversation about it. Imagine an iceberg that cracks in
half, with part II sailing away. That portion of the ice broke and fell
away in late 30. What broke it was the new vision. He spent the next
several years trying to explicate, clarify and polish it.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University

Dear sir
Is it not an example for language evolution,development.Caterpillar to butterfly example used in Hindu philosophy too (SANKHYA system).
Ignorance is forgetting the process of acquisition of language,and thinking that perception derived from language is true.

thank you
sekhar

4a.

Re: On When the New Wittgenstein Arrived (Again)

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:28 pm (PST)

SW,

Please note: I refered to the completion of "The Big Typescript", from which the material in _Philosophical_Grammar_ is taken, albeit with a great deal abridged. The sections omitted have been a subject of some controversy and include extended remarks on phenomenology, a topic generally associated with the transitional work of _Philosophical_Remarks_. In fact, one of the rationales (Kenny's as I recall) for their omission was that similar material was already present in PR. I would consider the transition from phenomenology to grammar to be an important part of the development of the later philosophy. (Unfortunately, I don't have all of this material at hand so my recollection should be taken with a grain of salt.)

As an examination of the recent "Scholar's Edition" of the BT material makes vividly apparent, the work was undergoing extensive revision. In 1933, he had set out to have work he'd written made into a typescript but during that time, he suddenly found himself drastically reworking the material. This is part of why the scholar's edition was such a challenge.

Yes, I am well aware that he was constantly revising and rearranging his work throughout the later period. But the revisions here are often quite dramatic. Also, there are key Tractarian ideas still under consideration, being reworked, not rejected, such as the idea of elementary propositions, the idea that the reference of a term is determined by its place in grammatical space, and the relationship between a proposition and a picture.

1929/1930 saw the collapse of the Tractarian approach to objects. And with that one could say that a picture no longer held him captive. But this was the first domino (or we could say that realizing the import of the color-exclusion problem was the first domino, one which led to the rejection of the overall approach). I'm going to quote Hacker on this, because I don't have the resources available right now to assemble such a case myself and because Hacker's approach is largely consonant with my own (and influenced my own view to no small degree). The following is from "The Whistling Had to Stop", which is also a good summary of many of the particular Tractarian ideas that were rejected and the interrelationships between those ideas):

"By the time he had written the Big Typescript, however, his philosophy had become transformed
(although here and there one can still find residues of the earlier ideas sticking to the new
thoughts, like pieces of the eggshell out of which he has broken (cf. CV 23))

"To trace in detail the story of the change in Wittgenstein's views between 1929 and
1932/3 is a task for a book-length study. It would have to trace simultaneous developments
on many fronts, noting how some lagged behind when Wittgenstein initially failed to realize
the implications of some of his advances. And it would have to examine his extensive writings
on the philosophy of mathematics in this period, for that work played an important role in the
general change of his ideas."

The domino analogy is a particularly apt one because it captures what I take to be the core of our disagreement. Once the first domino falls, it is "inevitable" that the others will fall as well. That's the picture we make. But just as, when think of machines when we think of mathematical rules and neglect the fact that machine parts can bend or break, we also forget that any number of things can happen to prevent all of the dominoes from falling.

Unquestionably, Wittgenstein had important insights in 1929/1930 that would make the later work possible. But working through those ideas and their consequences would take time.

I don't have them handy nor do I recall the exact terms covered, but Moore kept some notes from 1930-1933 and they are available in a few places, including _Philosophical_Occasions_.

My best recollection of those is that in 1931 he was still ambivalent about the principle of bipolarity and about whether various sentences should be called propositions and in 1932, he was still having great difficulty articulating what was wrong with the "meaning-body" conception, sometimes suggesting that talk of meaning was itself "obsolete".

> > The phrase
> > "length of interval" has its
> > sense in virtue of the way we determine it,
> and differs
> > according to the method
> > of measurement
>
> I was thinking meaning is use, here.

Even strident verificationism could be described as approaching meaning by attending to use. But verificationism is a thesis. And one with many difficulties. The remarks on meaning and use in PI are not theses.

> > We cannot
> > say that two bangs two seconds apart differ only in
> degree
> > from those an hour
> > apart,
>

> I had understood this to say that one is a psychological
> estimate, the other isn't.

Either could be a psychological estimate and either could be measured with a stopwatch. But when I say, "They're about two seconds apart" and "They're about an hour apart", I can grasp the first interval as a whole, as when I recall a musical phrase.

Compare this with seeing 4 objects and not needing to count and seeing 17 objects and needing to count. The difference is important but it is not a difference of sense, as if when more objects are placed on a table, the numbers I use don't mean the same or as if when variations on a melody get longer (as in Brahms method of motivic variation), I'm guilty of equivocation in comparing their durations.

This is the sense of interval.
> He's taking what are thought to be analytic ideas -- length,
> interval -- and showing that they have senses which are
> conveyed only "in action."

But he's saying that there are different senses, not that symptoms and criteria we use in judging vary in different cases. Not that there is a family resemblance between the different activities we call "judging the duration", but that the sense "differs according to the method of measurement".

(Elsewhere, I've remarks on the disagreement between Bridgman and Einstein over Einstein's abandonment of operationalism in General Relativity. There, the dispute is over the "principle of equivalence" and the treatment of gravitic mass and accelerational mass as equivalent despite their being measured differently. These issues are actually closely related.)

JPDeMouy

5.1.

Re: SWM and Strong AI

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:38 am (PST)

"Searle's CRA is an argument against the possibility of what he calls 'Strong AI'."

The Chinese Room Argument is an argument against a position and/or a research program (he equivocates here in places) Searle calls "Strong AI", a position that asserts an equivalence, viz. "instatitiating a formal program with the right input and output is a sufficient condition of, indeed is constitutive of, intentionality," alternatively, "mental processes are computational processes over formally defined elements."

"...basically it is the supposition that one can produce consciousness on a computer by running certain kinds of programs."

"Strong AI" is not the "supposition" that one "can" produce intentionality (to use Searle's terminology, owing to Brentano - a term I personally would avoid, but we're stuck with it for purposes of this discussion), thought, intelligence, consciousness (all of which Searle unfortunately runs together, though this running together is based on separate arguments, the debating of which would take us too far afield). It is the assertion that running the right kind of program is constitutive of those things.

"Note that I see no difference in this formulation with your 'assertion of an equivalence', i.e., that consciousness is just the running of certain kinds of programming on computers."

What do you mean, you "see no difference"?

"I suppose we could argue over the nuances here but it seems to me to be a not especially useful area of debate."

The only thing I've been willing to debate with you is your understanding of the Chinese Room Argument and of the position Searle describes as "Strong AI". And I've only been willing to discuss that because you've demanded I justify a remark I made about your lack of understanding. And that remark was foolishly made precisely because I had no interest in that topic though you kept bringing it up when I (again foolishly) attempted to offer assistance in other matters.

If you're going to dismiss as "nuances" the real logical distinctions I've tried to bring to your attention and regard such things as "not especially useful", then there is really no reason to have this discussion at all.

"The bottom line boils down to this: If consciousness is like programs running on a computer..."

That's called a simile.

"...(as Dennett describes it) then that in essence IS an assertion of equivalence."

No, it's not. Saying one thing is like something else is not the same as saying that the two things are identical nor yet is it the same as saying that the first thing could possibly produce the second thing.

But I suppose such distinctions are just more "nuance".

I'm going to resist replying to the rest of this, though I've been sorely tempted. Having read through twice, I am afraid that when I again reach the line where you tell me that a direct quotation from Searle is a "misreading of Searle", I won't be able to maintain my civility.

JPDeMouy

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News