[Wittrs] Re: On Ownership and Privacy

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:47:38 +0100

Thanks Anna, and permit me to congratulate you on your command of English!
Apologies for the tardy reply but I don't get a lot of time for this.

The impression I get from LW is that language and "inner states" don't connect,
but I think there's a sense in which they do connect. Although language is an
aspect of overt behavior, certain modes of behavior are usually accompanied by
specific "inner states" (e.g. pain behavior with the experience of pain). This
correlation is evident from what I might refer to as the "first-person
perspective" (for want of a better term of reference), and so when I see
somebody else exhibit pain behavior I assume that there is a correlated
experience of pain from their "first-person perspective". So I agree with you
that we can legitimately speak of private states, and in the "first-person
case" we attribute these states to the "first-person" implicated in that mode
of thought (i.e. in common speech, regardless of the fact that, as LW points
out, they have no "owner").