[Wittrs] Re: On Ownership and Privacy

  • From: Anna Boncompagni <anna.boncompagni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:18:09 +0200

Hello, Cayuse. I will try to express my point of view about this, which I
consider one of the most interesting and obscure points in LW's philosophy.

I think the key point is this (about pain, in your quotation of 304):
*It is not a something, but not a nothing either!*

As you said, he's not denying the existence of private states, but he's
affirming that there's something wrong in considering a private state as a
"something". If your interpretation is correct (and I agree with it too),
this means that only when we deal with public affairs, can we use the
grammar for the "somethings", for "things". Language "thingalizes" its
objects, it makes things of them, speaking of them objectively; and private
state are not (some)things.

What this all makes me think is, we can legitimately speak of private
states, i.e. USE them, but in different games. When we for example say "I
have an headache", we are not saying we possess it ("I have a sister" does
not mean we possess her as Stuart put it), we mean "I don't feel like doing
that, I need your help" etc., which are actions in a chain of interactions
with others. Remember that the verbal expression of pain is only a
sofistication of groaning. So, the verbal expression of private states are
sofistications of actions.

About the final quote, "My having consciousness...": It's not so easy to
interpret it according to the previous remarks. But if this idea is correct,
saying "I have consciusness" is a means to differentiate me from the tree or
the stone, and this may occurr in a conversation with someone who doubts my
intelligence; in this sense it is an action, too, the sofistication of an
action.

What is mostly intriguing, for me, is that since we are used at seeing
language only in its declarative aspect, everytime we use language to
describe, analyse, point at phenomenon that are not things, we make things
of them. But the question that arises is, then: is there a legitimate way of
speaking of private states - not of speaking WITH them, using them to groan
or to act, but speaking ABOUT them?
When we talk to a doctor or a psychologist, we do.

Probably the private language argument can help us to answer this question.
Anna