[Wittrs] Re: Minds, Brains and What There Is

  • From: "blroadies" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:41:08 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> It's not a nothing.

Mental contents? Just metaphysics? When you tell me about your pain, you
are talking metaphysics, i.e., empty talk, ....I can't grasp what you
are saying.

> I follow Nagel in his use.

We can't know what it feels like to be a bat. A bat doesn't speak. We
do. But our words are about something, not nothing...so it amounts to
what?

> but it has no application none the less.

My talk about my pain doesn't apply to my pain? In what sense? Maybe I'm
not in pain and tricking you or is it that we can talk about objects
experienced in the world, sticks and stones but not our sense of sticks
and stones.

> There is no "hard problem" of mental processes, and to think that
> this is what Chalmers is referring to is to completely miss his point.

I need help in grasping that point. You are making some distinction I
don't get, mental-process vs ?

> I'm arguing that there's a grammatical error ...

and that error is....

bruce

trs/

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html