[wisb] Re: warbler quiz

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:17:36 -0500

Sorry I haven't gotten to this sooner, but was finally able to get back to
my computer.

I am actually reasonably confident that this is a Pine Warbler.  The facial
pattern fits very well, with the yellowish supraloral stripe (above the
lores), and the fairly prominent eye arcs.  The rectrices (tail feathers)
also fit this species very well, with the pale tail spots extending well up
the tail.  On both Blackpoll and Bay-breasted the tail spots are shorter.
Another feature to note is the relatively short length of the undertail
coverts, resulting in a fairly long tail projection -- which is notably
different from both Blackpoll and Bay-breasted, which both have short tail
projections (beyond the undertail coverts).

(These features can be noted on the undertail figures that I did for the
Peterson Warbler guide -- which Peter kindly pointed out.)

Another distinction from Blackpoll/Bay-breasted is the color of the
upperparts, with "Baypolls" tending to be much more greenish or olive on the
upperparts.  This bird is more grayish brown.  Unfortunately the color of
the feet is quite variable in Pines, and although some are quite blackish,
others are more yellowish -- especially on the toe pads (underside of the
feet).

The coloration of the Pine Warbler is quite variable, with immatures being
quite drab and whitish, and adults (especially males) being more yellow.  I
feel that this is an adult that is molting into fall/winter plumage -- most
likely a female.  The color of the eye-arcs (split eye-ring) is actually
pretty helpful for separating male Pines from females, since females
typically have whitish eye-arcs and males have yellowish.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.