[wisb] Re: further results GE survey

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joanjeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:30:04 -0600

Just a little more math on this, which I find interesting:
2009 - 0.88 Eagles/observer
2008 - 0.89 Eagles/observer
2007 - 0.92 Eagles/observer
2006 - 0.60 Eagles/observer
2005 - 0.84 Eagles/observer

My apologies to Joan if you were going to do a breakdown yourself. I find
this fascinating. Apart from 2006, those numbers are really similar across
years, suggesting that perhaps knowing something about where to find eagles
in WI will net about .9 Eagles per observer. (So bring at least two people.)
It would be interesting to have data on time input as well, of course.
Still, the consistency is remarkable. What happened in 2006, anyone know?

Thanks for the post, Joan. It will be interesting to see how 2010 holds up.

Jesse Ellis
Zoology Dept
UW - Madison

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM, joan schnabel/jeff falk <
joanjeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi I had a few requests for more specific data.  I neglected to
> mention in the previous post that sometime next week more complete
> results will be up at the National Eagle Center's web site.
> Nationaleaglecenter.org   so please check there.  Basically the
> numbers have been increasing each year  as have the numbers of
> observers.  This years numbers look slightly lower than last years,
> but not all the  surveys are back yet,  and the numbers for the count
> week haven't been totaled.   If you have more specific questions that
> are not answered on the website next week,   either email me back or
> check with Scott Mehus at scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Thanks for
> all the interest.  Joan Schnabel Fountain City WI
>
> 2009   100 observers     88 Goldens  (total includes count week)
> 2008    67 observers      60 Goldens
> 2007    47 observers      51 Goldens
> 2006    48  observers      29  Goldens
> 2005    25  observers      21  Goldens
>

> preliminary data for 2010   85 Goldens   no break down available yet
> by states  Mn WI IA

> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.

Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co, WI