[wisb] Fox River, Outagamie County-1/23/10

  • From: "awreimer tds.net" <awreimer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:37:47 -0600

Took a ride this morning along most of the stretch of the Fox River as it
passes through Outagamie County.  Anywhere there is any kind of current the
water is open.  I had my oldest boy along so we were focused on eagles and
saw them in the following locations-
Little Croche dam-0
Thousand Islands-4 (all adults)
Combined Locks-9 (one adult pulled a pike/lawyer-type fish out of the water
and set it on the edge of the ice.  That brought eight others, two of which
were immatures, in like   magnets.  Three of them squabbled over the catch,
while the rest stood around and watched.)
Kimberly, Sunset Park-1 above the park, 2 below the boat landing.  All
adults.
Downtown Appleton-0

No geese, and very few gulls, nearly all of which were in downtown
Appleton.  A big flock of Goldeneyes at Combined Locks with a few scattered
about the other locations.  The Common Mergansers were at Kimberly.  Robins
continue to make their presence apparent in our area with two chirping from
the tops of the trees at Thousand Islands.  About 400 of the starlings were
from a flock whirling about a nearby barn as the farmer was poking at them
with a .410.  Complete list below.

Location:     Kaukauna, Outagamie County, WI, US
Observation date:     1/23/10
Notes:     Observations along Fox River in Outagamie County upstream from
Little Croche dam to downtown Appleton
Number of species:     16
Mallard     150
Common Goldeneye     200