[wisb] Re: counting after the fact birds

  • From: Danny Akers <birdmandan1231@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISC Listserv <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 20:32:31 -0500

I'm in full agreement with Greg and I'm doubtful I could have said it as well.

As an addendum, go back to that group of shorebirds. Let's say they were in
flight this time around. Are you going to be able to identify every species of
shorebirds in a massive flock as it moves around for a few seconds? Per the
argument at hand, the last Curlew Sandpiper in Iowa was identified this way. To
my knowledge, it wasn't identified in the field, it was later identified in a
photo of the flock. Whether or not the Curlew Sandpiper is on the list of the
original observer(s) I have no idea, but I don't believe it should be. If one
cannot recognize that this bird is odd (or rare) in the field, why should one
be allowed to count it later?

The question I'll pose is this.... what happens when you prepare to write the
documentation for that bird without the photo. What do you remember? My guess
is next to nothing.

Danny Akers
Iowa City & Ankeny, IA
BirdManDan1231@xxxxxxxxxxx