[wisb] Re: counting after the fact birds

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gseegert@xxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:32:47 -0500

I disagree and would go along more with Bernie.  Even in your second
scenario, you saw it with your own eyes, possibly while looking through a
camera or binoculars, but you saw it.  If the question is - "Hey, have you
ever seen a red-necked stint" you can answer "yes."  In either scenario,
maybe you're not the best at IDing shorebirds (sounds like me), but if the
question is what have you seen I think you can count whatever's in the photo
you took.

Then again, I don't view birding so much as a sport of identification
skills, but more as trying to see what I can find and pass those findings
along to share them with the birding, scientific and conservation
communities.  And I'd know better next time (hopefully) about the stint.

Also I don't think this is like counting stuff on a webcam at all, though
that is an interesting question too.  If you know where a webcam is, and
you're watching it at home can you enter your sightings into eBird?
Especially if you know no one else is doing so?  My answer would be yes,
though I'd get a different eBird account for that.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha