[wisb] Yard birds

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 19:50:01 -0500

Hey everyone,
I've been attempting to save some money lately and reserve birding excursions
for weekends (well, actually, no not really, it's just worked out that
way.....), but I have taken the chance to find out what's nesting in my yard
this year. Had a few interesting birds that I can't recall actually having in
my yard in the last couple summers.
A Least Flycatcher appears to have taken up residence in my Maple tree, next to
a Warbling Vireo. The usual Common Yellowthroat, Blue-winged, Yellow and other
Warblers are here, but it appears that my resident Hooded has gone. In it's
place? at least 3 pairs of Louisiana Waterthrush.  I can't say I'm disappointed
to hear their song every morning. :D
Also, as in past years, it appears that I have a pair of Acadian Flycatchers
nesting near the edge of my yard. I heard him just now when I stepped outside.
Interesting place for a deep forest bird. The first year I had them, he was
farther up the valley, deeper in the woods.
Yellow-billed Cuckoo also continues to be a regular species here but I have yet
to hear my usual resident Black-billed.

At the feeders this year, besides the usual Hummingbirds and Orioles (sometimes
both species) I've also had the pleasure of seeing a Catbird at my jelly feeder
and an Indigo Bunting at my Thistle feeder.  I also could've sworn I saw a
Yellow Warbler fly away from the jelly feeder just as I looked up at the wrong
moment.

Interesting what one gets at feeders sometimes. You could probably get almost
anything to come in if you put out the right food. :)

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)