[wisb] Re: Western Grebe - still there Tues. a.m. (UW campus)

  • From: Mitchell Nussbaum <acornwithteeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx" <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx>, "peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx" <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:42:26 -0700

Sorry, I forgot to post my name on the 2:30 W. Grebe post - Genie Ogden,
Madison, Dane Co.
On Tue, 7/28/15, Mitchell Nussbaum <acornwithteeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Subject: [wisb] Re: Western Grebe - still there Tues. a.m. (UW campus)
To: "sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx" <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx>, "peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx"
<peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 3:26 PM

I saw the bird at 2:30
this afternoon. It was about 100 yards west of the Limnology
Bldg, heading east. It was near a group of Mallards, quite a
ways out, but I could see the white. I didn't have
binoculars. It swam closer to shore. It was preening and
dove a couple of time.

   On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:29 AM, Sunil
Gopalan <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Lot 6 (Helen C. White garage) is a closer
possibility with (limited)
visitor parking
on the street level -- it's at the north end of N. Park
St
near the Hoofer Sailing club west of the
Union.
Sunil Gopalan - Madison/Dane Co.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:52
AM, Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

At 8:20 this
morning (Tuesday,) the Western Grebe was about 50 yards
off
the Lakeshore Path, just west of
the Limnology building on the UW Madison
campus.  Easily viewed with my mini
binoculars.  In other news, it's REALLY
humid out there... bleah...

For those unfamiliar
with the campus, the closest public parking (besides
taking your chances on finding a spot on
Lake St.) would be the
Lake/Francis St.
ramps just south of State St. (note that Langdon St. is
closed between Lake and Park St.)  From
there, walk north on Lake St. to,

unsurprisingly, the lake (Mendota), and go west past the
Memorial Union
Terrace, H.C. White Hall
and the Limnology Center (which is right on the
lake.)  Watch for bike traffic on the
Lakeshore Path.  Good luck.

Peter Fissel

Madison, Dane Co.

Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use the
Wisbirdn web interface at: