[wisb] Re: Western Grebe - still there Tues. a.m. (UW campus)

  • From: Mitchell Nussbaum <acornwithteeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kaymack58@xxxxxxxxx" <kaymack58@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 02:45:25 +0000 (UTC)

My husband and I looked, without binoculars, on Sun. and didn't see it. I went
with binoculars today and walked on the Lakeshore path from the Memorial Union,
past the Limnology Bldg to the Crew Boathouse and didn't see it. Unless it's in
a different part of the lake, maybe it has gone someplace else.
- Genie OgdenMadison, Dane Co. WI

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 8:12 AM, Karen Mckinley <kaymack58@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I know it's been a couple weeks but is that Western Grebe still hanging
out?  Thanks.  Karen McKinley, Bay View
On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Mitchell Nussbaum <
acornwithteeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to post my name on the 2:30 W. Grebe post - Genie Ogden,
Madison, Dane Co.
On Tue, 7/28/15, Mitchell Nussbaum <acornwithteeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Subject: [wisb] Re: Western Grebe - still there Tues. a.m. (UW campus)
  To: "sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx" <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx>, "peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx" <
peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
  Cc: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 3:26 PM

  I saw the bird at 2:30
  this afternoon. It was about 100 yards west of the Limnology
  Bldg, heading east. It was near a group of Mallards, quite a
  ways out, but I could see the white. I didn't have
  binoculars. It swam closer to shore. It was preening and
  dove a couple of time.

    On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:29 AM, Sunil
  Gopalan <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx>
  wrote:

  Lot 6 (Helen C. White garage) is a closer
  possibility with (limited)
  visitor parking
  on the street level -- it's at the north end of N. Park
  St
  near the Hoofer Sailing club west of the
  Union.
  Sunil Gopalan - Madison/Dane Co.

  On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:52
  AM, Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
  wrote:

  > At 8:20 this
  morning (Tuesday,) the Western Grebe was about 50 yards
  off
  > the Lakeshore Path, just west of
  the Limnology building on the UW Madison
  > campus.  Easily viewed with my mini
  binoculars.  In other news, it's REALLY
  > humid out there... bleah...
  >
  > For those unfamiliar
  with the campus, the closest public parking (besides
  > taking your chances on finding a spot on
  Lake St.) would be the
  > Lake/Francis St.
  ramps just south of State St. (note that Langdon St. is
  > closed between Lake and Park St.)  From
  there, walk north on Lake St. to,

  unsurprisingly, the lake (Mendota), and go west past the
  Memorial Union
  > Terrace, H.C. White Hall
  and the Limnology Center (which is right on the
  > lake.)  Watch for bike traffic on the
  Lakeshore Path.  Good luck.

  > Peter Fissel
  >
  > Madison, Dane Co.