[wisb] Re: Western Grebe - still there Tues. a.m. (UW campus)

  • From: Mitchell Nussbaum <acornwithteeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx" <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx>, "peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx" <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:26:12 +0000 (UTC)

I saw the bird at 2:30 this afternoon. It was about 100 yards west of the
Limnology Bldg, heading east. It was near a group of Mallards, quite a ways
out, but I could see the white. I didn't have binoculars. It swam closer to
shore. It was preening and dove a couple of time.

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:29 AM, Sunil Gopalan <sgopalan@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Lot 6 (Helen C. White garage) is a closer possibility with (limited)
visitor parking on the street level -- it's at the north end of N. Park St
near the Hoofer Sailing club west of the Union.
Sunil Gopalan - Madison/Dane Co.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:52 AM, Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 8:20 this morning (Tuesday,) the Western Grebe was about 50 yards off
the Lakeshore Path, just west of the Limnology building on the UW Madison
campus.  Easily viewed with my mini binoculars.  In other news, it's REALLY
humid out there... bleah...

For those unfamiliar with the campus, the closest public parking (besides
taking your chances on finding a spot on Lake St.) would be the
Lake/Francis St. ramps just south of State St. (note that Langdon St. is
closed between Lake and Park St.)  From there, walk north on Lake St. to,
unsurprisingly, the lake (Mendota), and go west past the Memorial Union
Terrace, H.C. White Hall and the Limnology Center (which is right on the
lake.)  Watch for bike traffic on the Lakeshore Path.  Good luck.

Peter Fissel

Madison, Dane Co.