[wisb] Re: The iPod responses so far...

  • From: Stephen <savi0027@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Wisconsin Birding Network'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:25:11 CST

I use the BirdsEye app on a iPod touch 8gb.  I works great.  I have
wireless internet at my house and the app updates any time I open it at
home.  I was worried about not getting wifi connection in the field and not
being able to use it far up north.  But before I go on a search for a bird
in an area I don't know well I "explore" the map in close detail while
connected to the internet so I can see the road names and where the last
siting was.  After that the iPod saves the close up images so I can look at
them when I'm not able to get wifi.  You won't get updated sitings while
out in the field but you can always stop at one of your favorite coffee
shops on your birding trips and update and look up more areas.

Hope this makes sense.
Stephen Savior
Ramsey MN (Anoka County)

On 20 Jan 2010, Carl Schroeder wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> I have an ipod touch. I have the entire Stokes songs and calls collection
> (east and west) on it. I put a lot of hours into ripping the CDs to my
> computer, editing the recordings to eliminate the narrator and split the
> songs from the calls. Then I organized everything by family etc. I didn't
> have the money to buy Bird jam but had time last winter on those long
dark
> nights so I went the do it yourself route. It works terrific on my ipod
> touch.
>
> I don't need the pictures on my ipod, Sibleys or any other printed field
> guide is far superior in all ways especially the quality of the graphics
> (resolution and color). Though I suppose on very rare occasion I may find
my
> self without a field guide and would then wish I had pictures on ipod.
>
> Regarding email/internet access with your ipod touch. It comes with
built-in
> wifi access. But you are dependent on finding a free wifi signal, common
in
> hotels and airports, some restaurants, but if you are in the field, not.
If