[wisb] Re: The iPod responses so far...

  • From: "Carl Schroeder" <carlschroeder@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Wisconsin Birding Network'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:23:01 -0600

Hi Peter

I have an ipod touch. I have the entire Stokes songs and calls collection
(east and west) on it. I put a lot of hours into ripping the CDs to my
computer, editing the recordings to eliminate the narrator and split the
songs from the calls. Then I organized everything by family etc. I didn't
have the money to buy Bird jam but had time last winter on those long dark
nights so I went the do it yourself route. It works terrific on my ipod
touch.

I don't need the pictures on my ipod, Sibleys or any other printed field
guide is far superior in all ways especially the quality of the graphics
(resolution and color). Though I suppose on very rare occasion I may find my
self without a field guide and would then wish I had pictures on ipod.

Regarding email/internet access with your ipod touch. It comes with built-in
wifi access. But you are dependent on finding a free wifi signal, common in
hotels and airports, some restaurants, but if you are in the field, not. If
you want broad internet access you'll need to get the iphone instead and buy
a phone/internet service.

Before you decide on a ipod touch vs an iphone check out BirdsEye. Looks
like an awesome app for the iphone that taps into the ebird database. I'm
not absolutely sure but don't think it works on ipod touch.

So why do I have the Touch and not iphone? I got it as a gift.

Carl