[wisb] Spring?

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 09:57:54 -0600

A few things have changed in the last week or so.  First, the Canada geese are
back on the pond in the spring-fed open areas.  What this means is nesting will
soon follow.  Typically a dominant pair will sort themselves out from the flock
and start showing signs of courting.  Average egg dates are ~April 1st and
goslings appear a month later.  So, nest building is approaching.  When the
islands were still in the flowage, had several pairs nesting.  Those have since
eroded and muskrat mounds are now used and a couple now nest- just as well.
Front lawn is ground zero for grazing!

Song sparrows have reappeared under the feeders, and I've even heard singing.
Tree sparrows are making music as well.  Red-winged blackbirds and killdeer (my
harbingers of spring) can't be too far away.

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County####################