[wisb] Re: Smith's Longspurs

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: idzikoj@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:36:12 -0500

To follow up on John's experience with calls it is worth walking long
stretches of possible Smith's Longspur habitat anywhere in WI. Habitat
consists usually of open patches of soil with  foxtail upon which the
bird seems to prefer feeding.  In the old days the bird seem to frequent
remnant wet prairie patches.

Longspur page (calls): http://pjdeye.blogspot.com/2009/10/longspurs.html

The point I want to add is listen for Chestnut-collared Longspur too.
Here is a link to the call which sounds like a begging baby Red-winged
Blackbird:

http://birds.audubon.org/birds/chestnut-collared-longspur

--
Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point

On 4/25/2014 9:29 AM, John Idzikowski wrote:
> I have not followed every message in this thread so perhaps my comments are
> redundant. We have had Smith's in April and mid-September in the past at the
> Milwaukee Coast Guard Impoundment before it was destroyed by the last fill
> and engineering project in 2009. On all occasions the distinctive dry rattle
> call called our attention to its presence.
>
> http://www.xeno-canto.org/70077
>
> This call seems very diagnostic; I cannot confuse it with any other open
> field species one may encounter in Wisconsin. The small flocks we had
> frequented bare dirt with clumps of dried grasses. I hope that someone has
> taken a digital of the current site that could be posted. Knowing the
> distinctiveness of its habitat preferences and call allows one to plan for
> better hunting and perhaps less of a need for flushing as grassy clumps and
> furrows could be scoped once one suspects Smith's, but at the same time the
> flocks we had in Milwaukee would frequently self-flush.
>
> We do not know the exact passage range of Smith's through Wisconsin, but it
> seems to be more common as one goes west. Some range maps indicate that it
> does not pass through Wisconsin at all.
>
> John Idzikowski,
> Milwaukee
> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn