[wisb] Smith's Longspurs

  • From: "John Idzikowski" <idzikoj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 09:29:11 -0500 (CDT)

I have not followed every message in this thread so perhaps my comments are
redundant. We have had Smith's in April and mid-September in the past at the
Milwaukee Coast Guard Impoundment before it was destroyed by the last fill and
engineering project in 2009. On all occasions the distinctive dry rattle call
called our attention to its presence.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/70077

This call seems very diagnostic; I cannot confuse it with any other open field
species one may encounter in Wisconsin. The small flocks we had frequented bare
dirt with clumps of dried grasses. I hope that someone has taken a digital of
the current site that could be posted. Knowing the distinctiveness of its
habitat preferences and call allows one to plan for better hunting and perhaps
less of a need for flushing as grassy clumps and furrows could be scoped once
one suspects Smith's, but at the same time the flocks we had in Milwaukee would
frequently self-flush.

We do not know the exact passage range of Smith's through Wisconsin, but it
seems to be more common as one goes west. Some range maps indicate that it does
not pass through Wisconsin at all.

John Idzikowski,
Milwaukee